Question about showing market/boer wethers

farmgirl01

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Very cute pic. A "market wether" can be any castrated male?

Kathi Davis

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Our 4H fair starts in July so I have a question is Noble Goat a good goat to be feeding to the market weathers that we will be showing. My kids are not in it to go to the state fair by any means but they do want to do well. Also we have Boer as well as Nigerian Dwarf goats. While there is no class for the Nigerians I do want to make sure I am feeding them the right stuff. Can they eat the Noble Goat? or do I need to change feeds all together. We wont actually get the Nigerians until late May as they are not weaned yet. Any help is appreciated.

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
Our 4H fair starts in July so I have a question is Noble Goat a good goat to be feeding to the market weathers that we will be showing. My kids are not in it to go to the state fair by any means but they do want to do well. Also we have Boer as well as Nigerian Dwarf goats. While there is no class for the Nigerians I do want to make sure I am feeding them the right stuff. Can they eat the Noble Goat? or do I need to change feeds all together. We wont actually get the Nigerians until late May as they are not weaned yet. Any help is appreciated.

Full House Farm has kind of gone more in the direction of dairy goats and ADGA shows. I don't think she really does boers any more.
You should look into that as well. American Dairy Goat Association sanctioned shows.
That's all we do. My daughter is 13, and they have both Youth and Open Shows.
Full House Farms daughter is a champ at showmanship.

I do believe for market meat goats some of the serious folks probably use a special blend.

But, Noble Goat I do believe is 16% protein and is a balanced feed. It will work fine for the Boer's and the Nigerians.
We have Nigerians by the way.

Kathi Davis

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
As of right now my children only show at the local 4H fair. They are not into the serious fairs or shows. They more just like having them around because of the differences in personality. But regardless I want to make sure that they are getting the nutrients that they need. I did look and Noble is a 16% protein. I just can't tell by the labels what the difference in the Noble and the s$30 a bag feed.

ragdollcatlady

Herd Master
Reaction score
We used noble goat 16 percent and added some calf manna to increase the protein and fat. We didn't have access to the show feeds when my kid showed. TSC just opened up here and they have a show feed that I would try if we were showing this year. I also wanted to try the supplement Goatzilla, but couldn't find it locally and it is about $70 a bag so adding shipping made it prohibitive to try.

Noble goat is ok for all goats. For market goat competition though, most folks will be feeding more protein and fat than noble goat has.

Fullhousefarm

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
OFA is right- we show dairy.

We just fed our wether for a "long healthy life" and not to be a market/meat goat champion. Made sure feed had good Ca:ph ratio and that he had lots of roughage. I'm pretty sure the competitive market/boer people are feeding a high protein/fat content and minimal roughage so they eat more feed.