Question about tetanus antitoxin

luvmypets

Herd Master
Reaction score
My sheep cut his leg today. It was reccommended I give him tetanus antitoxin but before I do anything I want to be 100% sure I know what to do. Ok so I have one 1500 unit vial which it says to give the whole thing to him. I have syringes and needles but Im just curious where should I inject it? It says subcutaneosly or intramusculary. I just am a bit confused, any input would be awesome!

norseofcourse

Herd Master
Reaction score
sub-q is ok, and you can give it anywhere under the skin you're comfortable. I tend to give mine in the neck area (did too many dogs and cats of my own, habit), or you can give it in the skin behind a front elbow - make sure you're not going into the 'armpit' area! That's painful.

luvmypets

Herd Master
Reaction score
sub-q is ok, and you can give it anywhere under the skin you're comfortable. I tend to give mine in the neck area (did too many dogs and cats of my own, habit), or you can give it in the skin behind a front elbow - make sure you're not going into the 'armpit' area! That's painful.
Thanks Norse!

luvmypets

Herd Master
Reaction score
I just did it, poor bub was not happy but its for his own good. I had to do two rounds bc the syringe wasnt big enough and on the sec time I poked through the other side and some dripped. Would this be a problem?

norseofcourse

Herd Master
Reaction score
I just did it, poor bub was not happy but its for his own good. I had to do two rounds bc the syringe wasnt big enough and on the sec time I poked through the other side and some dripped. Would this be a problem?
Should not be a problem, just keep an eye on the injection sites for a few days, an abscess isn't common but if one happens it's best caught early. Sounds like you're doing great with him, hope he heals up fast!

luvmypets

Herd Master
Reaction score
Thanks, he is my bud, nicest sheep we've ever had.

Latest posts