Question about Wethers

rowegirl

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Now I am worried! So far he hasn't tried to mount the doe but do I need to separate them? Or does it look like he's been wethered?:eek:

lalabugs

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I personally have not used burdizzo from my understanding if they are clamped correctly they will shrivel up and have a much smaller sack. Your boy has a small sack for an almost 5 month old.

Fiascofarms.com is a really good website with a lot of goat information. :)

@Ginger's Goats Burdizzo is clamping the testie cords.

Just so you know wethers will mount does if they're in heat. They just can't do anything. :) How long have you had him? He could have been housed with bucks before you got him. Could always give him a bath.

rowegirl

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I've had him for about 4 weeks now.
Thanks for letting me know that about wethers mounting does! That would have scared me! Lol

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
Could you band him just to be sure? I just banded some 5 month old mini Alpines so it is definitely doable.

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
Isn't "banding" the term you use? :duc:hu
No it's not.
There are several different methods to castrate a buckling. Each method is different, banding takes time where if they are cut everything is removed right away.

@rowegirl do you have side and front pics of your boy? His sack looks very small for a goat that age so that would make me think he is a wether. Is he peeing on himself? He looks pretty darn clean to be an intact buck.

My first thought is that your guy was kept with the breeder's bucks- the smell would definitely "cling" onto your boy.

I'd just bathe him and see if that does the trick.

rowegirl

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
He is a lot cleaner now that I've had him. I've never seen him pee on himself like I have seen bucks do. I will give him a bath and see if that takes away the smell. Thank all of you so much!

Attachments

• Screenshot_2017-08-08-15-24-34.png
    Screenshot_2017-08-08-15-24-34.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 128
  • Screenshot_2017-08-08-15-24-02.png
    Screenshot_2017-08-08-15-24-02.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 119

Ginger's Goats

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
No it's not.
There are several different methods to castrate a buckling. Each method is different, banding takes time where if they are cut everything is removed right away.
Oh, My bad. I usually assume their banded. Continue :)