Question for horse people

Horsiezz

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Im 13 and I have had plenty of times I was scared but I don't let it bother me. Its not really about being "fearless" to me... its about me CONFIDENT but having caution. Its true, your on the back of a living, breathing creature with a mind of its own. Its not an ATV where you have full control, you just got to trust the horse so it can trust you and be prepared for something to happen because any second a horse could spook or something like that. Alot of times accidents occur, but you just gotta get back on and ride! Most well trained horses don't want to intentionally "throw" you, but people make it seem that way. I just lost a close family friend of mine, her name was Sandi. Were part of a trail riding association called Tri-County Trail Association. They have a campground and public bridle trails in Ohio. She was a fellow member and coordinator of events/parades which I attended many of. It was the anual Italian Festival at the local fairgrounds and we were invited to park cars on horseback. So Sandi went with her faithful Tennessee Walking horse of many years, Rebel. She was getting on him to mount and something spooked him. She fell and he accidently ran over her to get away, and ended up falling on top of her. The horse got up and was okay, but refused to leave his owners side. He realized what he'd done. She had broken ribs, a ruptured liver/spleen, and a few other things. She lost too much blood and she sadly died through the night at the hospital. She was 69 years old. She rescued Rebel when he was too lame to be shown in the "big lick" shows and the owners were going to kill him. He was starved and abused. She gained his trust and they became inseperable best friends. They had the most incredible bond I have ever seen. Local newspapers and radio hosts were making it seem like the horse purposly did it... which he would never do. Lots of people got angry because of this and they wrote into the newspapers and such. It just goes to show anything can happen when dealing with horses whether it was an accident or the horse purposly did it... it can be a dangerous sport but to me, worth the risk.