Question for thought

GLENMAR

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Many years ago I used to raise and show Hollands.
My hutches were the outdoor type with built in next boxes in the back.
The rabbits entered the boxes through a 5x5 or so hole.
All rabbits had them. The idea was that they could get out of the wind or cold too.
I never had a problem with does having litters on the wire.

Do you guys think if we put the nest boxes in sooner, and gave
the does time to explore them, then most would not have babies in the wire.
Most people recommend putting in the nest boxes at the last minute before they
kindle. Why??

Just an idea. Any thoughts? I have 4 first timers due next month.

greenbean

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
The reason I don't give mine any sooner than I already do, is because they start using them as litterboxes and I can't get them to stop. Even after they have their kits. :/

I do have a hutch with the nestbox built in and I had to close it off to every rabbit I've had in it, because they use it as a litterbox. :rolleyes:

nawma

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I have also had problems with doe using nest box as litter box if I put it in too early. They also seem to waste the nesting materials by throwing them out of box if they are not yet in nesting mood.

Citylife

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I put my nest boxes in at 28 days and have had 2 does in 4 years lay in them and act like it was their personal throne.
I have worked real hard at keeping my lines full of good mothers. My first years, I wasted a lot of time and money on stock that was not as productive as I needed. I now practice a strict culling strategy for my breeding stock. If I feed a doe for a year without a litter, she has cost me a lot of money, time and energy. I totally switched breeds, started out all new, and all my new mothers were successful the first time and some just had their second litters. I have 29 kits, out of 3 does, less then a week old. I think a big key to success is having fresh air, sunlight and good food. An animals instincts are more likely to work better if the animal is fulfilled. JMO