Question on Broken possibility.

pnptrapp

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Just got a copy of my pedigrees for my Black Otter rex and my Blue rex rabbits. I want to breed them. Looking at their pedigrees the Black Otter has two broken rabbits on the sire's side, the Blue has 5 broken rabbits sprinkled through out her pedigree, including her dam.

When I put their genotypes into the calculator broken's never come up as a possibility. So I'm just curious what my chances are of having broken offspring. I know that if either of these rabbits were broken I'd have a 50/50 chance of getting brokens, but am not sure what would happen in this case.

Thanks for the help.

Bunnylady

Herd Master
Reaction score
Broken is a dominant trait - if it's there, you'll see it. Since both of these rabbits are colored, and not broken, they don't have the gene for broken, so unless you breed to a broken, you won't get broken babies.

pnptrapp

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Oh, that makes sense why it wouldn't show up then.

Bunnylady

Herd Master
Reaction score
The only rabbits that can hide the broken gene are those that are already white, like REW's. I once had a Himi Mini Rex (called a Cali in full-sized Rex) that was a broken. The thing that gave it away was her feet - they were white, and on a Himi, they would be colored. I must admit, I sort of forgot about that at one point, and got a bit confused about some broken babies that she had . . . . I always have been absent minded.:rolleyes:

pnptrapp

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
That makes sense as well, since one of the "broken" ancestors is a white rabbit.