Question on cage spacing and loneliness issues in rabbits?

Nao57

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
So I wanted to ask what's the minimum space you can have between cages of rabbits to get them to not be too lonely and isolated (from the other nearby cages)?

I asked this because I think one of my cages was too far from the others with the buck in it. And I didn't like that, so i moved it closer, so that he can see the does.

But I'm still not so sure how well he can see the other doe nearest to him. And that's why I asked about what you think about how close they need to be to each other.

Thank you for any thoughts on this.

Niele da Kine

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Around here, we keep the does in a big herd and the bucks have their own spaces. They have a common wire wall between them, but that's all. They don't seem to spend a lot of time laying next to each other on either side of the wire so they don't seem to need to be near to another bunny.

Bunnies, as far as I can figure, are scent oriented and like their place to smell of rabbit. Preferably of themselves when it's their space. If they get out of their hutch, they usually stick around the hutch area and don't go very far so they like to be near and around other rabbits, but they also like their own space if they can get it..

Not sure if that helps actually answer your question, though.

Nao57

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Around here, we keep the does in a big herd and the bucks have their own spaces. They have a common wire wall between them, but that's all. They don't seem to spend a lot of time laying next to each other on either side of the wire so they don't seem to need to be near to another bunny.

Bunnies, as far as I can figure, are scent oriented and like their place to smell of rabbit. Preferably of themselves when it's their space. If they get out of their hutch, they usually stick around the hutch area and don't go very far so they like to be near and around other rabbits, but they also like their own space if they can get it..

Not sure if that helps actually answer your question, though.

Oh any information is helpful because you never know when it will link up with other facts and things. And its also neat to hear observations of others, about how their minds work.

Thanks.

Niele da Kine

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I don't think I would have been able to raise bunnies profitably and successfully without the internet and everyone else out there sharing information. Prior to the internet, about the only access to knowledge was knowing someone who was doing it and they were also limited in what they knew or going to a local library and hoping they had some books on the subject. Now, what with the vast amount of knowledge (as well as speculation, conjecture and other fantasies) available online folks can do all sorts of things that wouldn't have been possible before. If there's nothing written about the subject, there's probably a YouTube about it somewhere!