Question on color genetics or offspring?

pnptrapp

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
When I was raising rabbits way back when in high school I raised Satins and Rexs. I remember I had one Siamese Satin doe that I bred with an all Black buck. You want to talk about interesting babies. I think I very rarely ever got solid black from the two of them, a few broken blacks, tons of Siamese, and maybe only one or two broken Siamese. The broken gene sure is tricky but it can also be fun!

Tonya

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Thank y'all for the info!! My doe had her babys last sunday evening here are some pics of babys!! Their color is gonna be intresting to see!! They favor more the bucks color!! :)
image.jpg

Last edited:

Bunnylady

Herd Master
Reaction score
Exactly!

This kit is a typical booted broken:
bunnypics029.jpg

Some booted brokens have no white on the face at all, but almost all "good" brokens have more white on the face than this.

This is a pretty typical face for a "good" broken:
JolieC2.304124931_std.JPG

There may be more or less color than this, but you almost always have some separation of the eye markings, nose marking, etc. When I see a kit with just a white mark in the middle of the forehead, I can be pretty sure that there won't be a lot of white anywhere else . They have the gene for broken, but they don't have the right genetic "helpers" to create the desired pattern.