Question on housing rabbits

mickey328

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I'm back with more questions. Do you have your cages in such a way that the rabbits can see each other? We're planning 4 cages (2 does, 1 buck and a grow out) and haven't yet decided whether we want 2 up and 2 down, or 2 on one side and 2 on the other side with room between to access the doors. We don't have the funds to buy anything so we're going to build...DH is very handy and we have lots of materials on hand already. We just need to decide on how we want them set up. Any advice will be gratefully appreciated!

currycomb

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
set it up so it is convient for you to feed,water,and clean, and storage of feed. the rabbits will adjust. ours could see the others, and no problems

Bunnylady

Herd Master
Reaction score
I don't worry much about whether the rabbits can see each other, it's when they can reach each other that problems occur. Bucks spray urine. Some aren't bad about it, with others, I think it's a hobby! If the dividing wall is not solid, any rabbit in a cage next to a buck will probably get anointed. :rolleyes: If you are planning to have some cages higher and some lower, I'd recommend the buck be housed in a lower cage, to prevent him shooting you in the face (lesson learned the hard way). ;) Also, rabbits can breed through wire - I don't know how, I've never seen them do it, but I have had enough surprise litters to know that it's possible.

Does can be cranky with the neighbors, or not. I have does that live next to each other, no problems. I have also had rabbits that lost chunks of ear or even toes to the rabbit next door. If the dividing walls to your cages are solid, the rabbits can't hurt each other, but that also cuts down on the ventilation. :idunno

mickey328

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Hehe, that's sort of our dilemma. I didn't realize they sprayed, but DH has had rabbits before and is really wanting to use as little wood as possible, both to prevent chewing and to keep it from becoming urine soaked and stinky. The more I think about placement, the better I like the idea of 2 and 2...each facing inward with a walkway between so we can get into them. DH is almost a whole foot taller than I am, so seems we could reach better if they were all at the same height. I think I'd prefer something solid between the cages, just to be on the safe (and unpeed on) side. I wonder if we could leave a space between the wire on the shared walls and slide something in there...a piece of plywood or perhaps tin. It could be removed if not necessary and cleaned and/or replaced. The other option is to just do 4 in a row with the backs up against the fence...it'll provide some shelter against the winter wind.

We get some high temps here in the summer, so we'll need to put up some sort of roof over the whole affair to keep the sun off them. Winters can be fairly chilly, but with a good windbreak I'm sure they'll weather that all right.

Bossroo

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
If you go for the cages backing up against a fence, make sure you have at least 2+' away from it, as rabbits will urinate onto it and urine soaking into the fence wood becoming an unsightly white coated if not smelly mess.

mickey328

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Really? Wow, I didn't realize that. Our neighbor would have a fit! Thanks so much!

secuono

Herd Master
Reaction score
Making 'one' long cage and then adding dividing walls would be the strongest, easiest and cheapest.
Rabbits do pee in corners and more at an angle, so if you strap on a tarp or plastic as a barrier, it will safe the fence or w/e you don't want being sprayed.

mickey328

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
That makes sense, and it could just be hosed off from time to time. Our neighbor is a PITA and if he gets a whiff of anything, he'll be over here squawking about it! I'm thinking a long box divided in 4 is best...it can sit near the fence which will provide both a break from the west wind and some shade the last couple hours of the day. Thanks!

rabbitgeek

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
You mentioned shade the last couple hours of the day. They really need to be shaded all day long. A plastic sheet can be a good barrier to protect a fence, but don't wrap the cages up , you need the ventilation.

Have a good day!

mickey328

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
The spot where the cages will be has no natural shade, unfortunately. We'll be making a roof for the whole thing so that they'll only get an hour or so of morning sun; by the time it really starts to get hot, they'll be totally in the shade. The cages will be a couple feet or so from both the fence and the back of the shed, which are on the west and north sides respectively. This is where our wind mostly comes from, so they'll have protection from the worst of it. If we get rain or blowing snow, we'll be able to hang tarps or carpet or something from the roof on the other sides. That way they'll still get plenty of air, but nothing will get directly on them. We plan to have the roof project over the cages by a good 2 feet on all 4 sides.

I've had folks tell me we should use GAW wire for the floor. This and the roof are going to significantly raise the cost of the project, so it may take longer to get going than we'd anticipated since money is pretty tight these days. I'm beginning to think it might be cheaper to start off with any sort of cages we can find, and just put the money into making the roof. If we didn't have so much "crap" in the shed we could house them in there, LOL. It's got a nice wind turbine and we could easily put in a window or two for ventilation.