Question on selling rabbits

Funkyfaith

Just born
Reaction score
I'm looking into breeding mini rex rabbits for pets. And possibly a small amount of meat. I'm in southern Newhampshire. Most rabbit breeders I've seen are more northern. But I'm just wondering, are pet rabbits in demand? Or will I end up with only a few sold and have the rest to deal with? I dont want to go into this without a plan. But I honestly don't know who to talk to about whether or not they can sell well.

Pastor Dave

Herd Master
Reaction score
Check ARBA website for New Hampshire breeders and ask them.
I personally don't get much business for pets, but don't advertise much or have a pet breed. So, ...

promiseacres

Herd Master
Reaction score
It varies.... location, time of year, ect. Lots to factor in. Definitely check into ARBA. Check for local shows and attend one if possible. Just browsing may give you some insight. Also check out any livestock swap meets.
If you invest some money get some show quality stock and then you have the additional outlet of show bunnies. Many 4Her's love the mini rex. Also look into different varieties...some sell better than others.

DutchBunny03

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
If you want to sell pet rabbits, advertise your rabbits as pet rabbits. Don't use big rabbit-folk words such as "pedigreed", "registered", "senior buck", "junior doe", "show quality", etc., in your advertisement. That may put off potential customers who just want a pet bunny. Also, no matter how much your rabbits may be worth, you will most likely not be able to charge full price. The pet owners may not understand just how well-bred or perfect your rabbits are according to the breed standard, so will not value the rabbit as highly as you do. The only people who will give you the amount of money the rabbit is actually worth are other breeders looking to build up their herd with a new bloodline.So charge under $20 per rabbit, even if the rabbit may be worth much more than that. But this is not a rule, there are a few pet owners that know a well-bred rabbit when they see one, and will pay you the worth of the rabbit.
One thing about selling pets is that pet owners often buy on a whim, and do not have proper equipment to care for the rabbit. Be prepared to hear "where can i get a cage?" and "is any food for the bunny included?". Have a pamphlet on rabbit care and neccessary equipment ready to hand out, and maybe a list of equipment suppliers to refer the new owner of the rabbit to. I know a couple raisers who started building cages to sell with the rabbits, because this question was asked so frequently.
Chances are, if you advertise well and to the right audience, and price the rabbits reasonably, you will not have much trouble selling the rabbits.

Latest posts