Question on using Anti-Toxin and CD T Vaccine

cmjust0

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
bgl said:
Okay I'm confused again - Nothing new there :rolleyes: - So the anti-toxin is or is not long lasting? One person wrote it is not and needs to be administered daily, Someone else wrote that it last three days. My vet said 12-14 days. Does it depend on the anti-toxin you use?? I bought mine at TSC (cheaper then vet) but it gives very little directions or information - cannot remember the name offhand.
When it comes to goats, there are two primary anti-toxins with which to familiarize yourself:

1) Tetanus anti-toxin, and
2) Clostridium Perfringins types C & D anti-toxin, aka, CD anti-toxin.

Tetanus Anti-Toxin provides protection against tetanus infection for about two weeks.

C/D Anti-Toxin quickly knocks down the toxin produced by the bacteria Clostridium Perferingins type C & D, but only lasts a few hours. It must be given often if your goat is acutely suffering from a case of enterotoxemia.

I may have been the one who confused you because I always thought tetanus anti-toxin was short-lived like CD antitoxin...but it's not. Tetanus anti-toxin gives protection for about two weeks.

MissJames

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
cmjust0 said:
bgl said:
Okay I'm confused again - Nothing new there :rolleyes: - So the anti-toxin is or is not long lasting? One person wrote it is not and needs to be administered daily, Someone else wrote that it last three days. My vet said 12-14 days. Does it depend on the anti-toxin you use?? I bought mine at TSC (cheaper then vet) but it gives very little directions or information - cannot remember the name offhand.
When it comes to goats, there are two primary anti-toxins with which to familiarize yourself:

1) Tetanus anti-toxin, and
2) Clostridium Perfringins types C & D anti-toxin, aka, CD anti-toxin.

Tetanus Anti-Toxin provides protection against tetanus infection for about two weeks.

C/D Anti-Toxin quickly knocks down the toxin produced by the bacteria Clostridium Perferingins type C & D, but only lasts a few hours. It must be given often if your goat is acutely suffering from a case of enterotoxemia.

I may have been the one who confused you because I always thought tetanus anti-toxin was short-lived like CD antitoxin...but it's not. Tetanus anti-toxin gives protection for about two weeks.
That is an excellent explanation.Thank you. I guess the confusion comes in because the annual vaccination is CD and tetanus combined.Is that right? So the antitoxins,if needed, would be more for each specific disease.

cmjust0

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
MissJames said:
I guess the confusion comes in because the annual vaccination is CD and tetanus combined.Is that right? So the antitoxins,if needed, would be more for each specific disease.
Bingo...

cmjust0

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
< :rant >

I had a disturbing conversation with a vet about this once... I was calling around looking for CD Anti-Toxin, and the receptionist at one vet's office (not my regular vet) said they had it. I asked how much, and she said it was really cheap..

Well...CD Anti-Toxin usually isn't cheap, so I asked her to double check that it was CD and not Tetanus anti-toxin.. She came back and said it was both. I told her that I thought she may have confused toxoid with anti-toxin... She puts me on hold..

Next thing I know, I'm talking to the vet himself.. He says to me that they do have anti-toxin. I ask if he means CD or Tetanus anti-toxin, and he says something like "yeah, it's the anti-toxin" and reiterates that he's not talking about toxoid..

Well, that wasn't what I asked..

I tell him again, very directly, that I'm looking for CD Anti-toxin.. He half-laughingly says "Yeah, I've got what you need" -- like *I* was the idiot.

I asked again if what he had was TETANUS or CD antitoxin...he proceeds to tell me that I'm confused. At one point, he actually advised that I was supposed to give tetanus anti-toxin, even though I was suspecting bloat and a possible impending CD bloom. The reasoning behind his advice was something about it being the anti-toxin that goes with the CD/T toxoid...or something like that.

I tell him that there are two seperate anti-toxins...CD and Tetanus.. Again, he acts like I'm confused and says I'm thinking of toxoid, because it's the toxoid that has the CD and Tetanus. My mistake for using the word "and," I guess.

:somad

Long story short, I eventually gave up trying to educate this VETERINARIAN that there were, indeed, two anti-toxins. I'm pretty sure he got off the phone and shook his head like he'd just spoken with the biggest dummy in the world...

Oh well. Can't win'em all.

</ :rant >

vaden boers

Just born
Reaction score
hello iwas reading the posts on anti toxin , maybe i can add some light , the c& d anti toxin is a short term fast acting , cd&t , is is used in cases requiring a boost or for bottle babies who dont have the anitbodies from moms milk , ( this is not the colostrum , but the antibodies they get while nursing ) , now if you use the anti toxin on a vacinated goat it negates the cd&t vaccine so you have to booster it after 2 weeks . while we are on the subject of cd&t alot of goat folks are seeing goats dieing from overeaters , because the cd&t doesnt cover all strains a goat can get , so folks please if y9ou are not using covexin 8 , or calvary 9 please switch , to many goats have been lost to this and phuemonia this year by foks who didnt know or vacinate .

FlightsofFancy

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
vaden boers said:
because the cd&t doesnt cover all strains a goat can get , so folks please if you are not using covexin 8 , or calvary 9 please switch , to many goats have been lost to this and phuemonia this year by foks who didnt know or vacinate .
Could you please explain what these two vaccines offer that the CDT doesn't? Phnuemonia has hit GA hard this year and with shows coming up in the next couple of months I would like to get my gals covered. Thank you!!! :D

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
It offers extra clostridial strains. CDT only offers clostridium C & D. The 8 way offers 6 more. Just make sure you have epinepherine right there ready. More to have a reaction to.

vaden boers

Just born
Reaction score
this is what i use

Covexin 8: For the Clostridial diseases. 3ml SQ first dose, and 2ml Sq in 21 days, then once annually.

Super Poly Bac B Somnus: for pneumonia prevention: This is a cattle vaccine, and is a 1ml dose SQ for goats, repeat in 14-21 days with .05 ml . It works wonders to protect against Pasturella hemolytica, Multocida, and A6, Haemophilus Somnus, and Samonella.

hope this helps yes north carolina has also been hit by pheunomina this year too , lots of oflks learning the hard way .

trestlecreek

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Colorado Serum has a pneumonia vaccine for goats.

For the cd/t vaccination, the booster should be given every 6 months. Once a year is not enough. Tilters in the goat drop off dramatically within 3 months.

The anti-toxin is for immediate protection where antibody levels have not been created yet in the body.

FlightsofFancy

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I am having bad reactions with the CDT at the injection site on my Nubians. They swell, get oozy and look nasty for a week. My Nigis are fine. I would like to try the Covexin 8 to see if we have a different responce.
Any Suggestions?

Also...SILLY QUESTION....does the Covexin8 cover Tetnus? I was looking on the Jeffers site and couldn't find it in the description or is "tetani"...tetnus??
From Jeffers:
Clostridium Chauvoei, Septicum Haemolyticum, Novyi, Tetani, Perfringens Types C & D Bacterin-Toxoid
(Schering-Plough) For vaccination of healthy sheep and cattle.