Question re: butchery trades

Simpleterrier

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I don't know. I deal with them all the time on a lot of different things. I just make friends then ask them if they know anyone different types of Amish will be different. U ask the wrong ones and they might just get in their BMW and drive away. Just cause their Amish don't mean it's home made. Or better crafted. They play the Amish card sometimes for the money.

Alasgun

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
A wise man once told me, “butchering is easy, you simply cut away the part you don’t want to eat”.
having worked at a packing house many years ago and butchering all of what we eat for the last 40 years, id say this isn’t far from the truth!
if all else fails, go to you-tube! You may not adopt everything you see but you’ll see enough to get you going, then you‘ll form your own opinion’s and style. It’s not that hard.

i know a couple trappers up here who were good at catching but then simply skinned the critters and sent the hides off to be tanned. Then after a couple years they had quite a pile of fur’s with no intended purpose. I pointed out to them “your missing out on what this is all about. Until you master the fur handling and sales you cant understand what being a trapper’s all about.”
Same holds true with livestock, it’s not nearly as gratifying to simply be the care taker. Being there for the birth’s and the butchering will give you a greater sense of self sufficiency. you’ll get over the squeamish part in short order.

Last edited:

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
Same holds true with livestock, it’s not nearly as gratifying to simply be the care taker. Being there for the birth’s and the butchering will give you a greater sense of self sufficiency. you’ll get over the squeamish part in short order.
Absolutely agree!

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
Amen x 1000 I think the people who don't understand how anyone can kill their own livestock are those who never have or have only done so due to putting down a suffering animal. There's something incredibly touching about nurturing an animal throughout its life and even unto its death that I wouldn't trade for anything. That last day is just as important and soulful as the first one.

I don't know that I would give that privilege to anyone else, especially anyone who didn't care for the animal like I had done every day of its life. To someone else that animal is a number, something to merely dispatch and render into parts, but to me they are something I have loved, spent time with, observed growing and living their natural life.

Latest posts