question

hoosiergal

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I am new to goats and excited to have purchased a 7 mo. old mix mini dairy doe for $45.00. She is part saanen & pygmy.

At 7 mo. can she be bred.

username taken

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
At 7 months old yes (provided she is well grown for her age) she can be bred.

Whether or not that is a good idea, people have varying opinions.

Rockytopsis

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
If she is 7 months old now, I would IMHO wait till October or November to breed her. Or even later if she has not reached at least 80 pounds.

()relics

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I would agree. If she is 7 months old and has a good body condition, she should be ok to breed. If she isn't "filled out" yet I would wait until she has reached her mature adult weight.
You said you just got her...Maybe it would be a good idea to worm her, give her any of her needed and previously not recieved vacinations,and start her on your feed ration...This would give her a couple of months to adjust and possibly continue to build frame before you introduce her to a billy.
The 8 month 80 pound rule is a good guideline to follow with a boer goat but in this case this particular goat may never reach 80 pounds, Obviously I can't see her frame or potential but any sort of a pygmy cross could very well mature under that weight.

Chaty

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I breed my larger type doelings at 8 mths or 80 lbs. With her being 1/2 I would at least wait to breed her till she is a year old . This way she will mature enough to understand what is going on. If bred to young you might be looking at a train wreck. JMO

mully

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
If you have not had her long I would wait til she is a year old and this way she has time to settle in, get used to her surroundings and mature a little. Waiting til mid Nov would bring her into spring and it is easier on everyone having a birth after the real cold weather has passed.

hoosiergal

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
thanks for the replies. I would much rather have a spring baby. too cold in nov. & dec. and jan.

dkluzier

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
We are waiting until Late October or later to breed for the same reason, Spring babies.