misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
The sand is fine as far as i've ever seen. So long as it's not in their daily diet every day, the sand should fall out as it is raked up and they are picking thru it.

We tried wrapping a cattle panel around our round bales when we used them but then one of our sheep got stuck in it where we had overlapped two squares and the goats pretty much beat her to death cause she was stuck. It was bad....so dont do that. Goats will do the same thing to other goats. Get de-horned if your going to have them eating thru cattle panels then you dont have to worry about them getting stuck. Bay's method looks good.

If your worried about them destroying your fence or getting out put a couple strands of hotwire on the inside of the fence line.

WildIrishRose

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Awesome! Thank you for the advice and sharing your experience! :] I have so many notes scribbled down as I go through ideas of how I'm going to finish fencing everything.

In the house we're trying to get one side is entirely fenced in with chainlink fencing. And the other side is this pretty white wood with two poles between each post. It's pretty, but impractical. and has some gaps at the corners. But at least there's posts there for me to build off of. :]

WildIrishRose

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Choose tested clean healthy animals to start. You can buy expensive / cheap/ everything in between- but if they are non tested animals they aren't worth buying.

Good to know! I'll have to get together with @animalmom and sometime after I get a place all set up! (although it'd be great to take you up on your offer and see how you do things before I get started on any housing and fencing projects too, lol)

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Going to visit other people certainly helps, as you can see what works and doesn't work for them. Your situation will be different, but putting eyes on it always helps. Look at past posts on fencing and shelter/barns also.

WildIrishRose

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
The house we're looking at has chain link for half the property. Is chainlink fencing and goats (specifically nigerian dwarfs) a bad mix? Is that acceptable? Maybe if I run a line of electric?
The other half is wooden fencing that is pretty, but has no practical application, other than I could use it to help line some wire fencing around.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Chain link --if NO bottom pole, stabilization, they CAN push under. So, look for that and then fix.

Look at it this way -- A goat spends it's life just looking for fun and a way to get out of their enclosure. Looking for them, fixing fences, all those things give their humans something to do with their time. :cool: Another reason we love them!!! :old