WildIrishRose

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
So I plan on getting a couple Nigerian does here in the future. My goal is solely for milk (and making things from the milk). Since I would just have a couple on a small parcel of land, I really don't want to have to keep a buck and always keep him separated. So my question is, when it comes time to breed and freshen the milk, if all the bucks in the area are a meat variety, would it make sense to breed the Nigerian does to a random buck? I'm open to eating the offspring, or selling them off if someone would take them (I wonder if they would sell). Would the meat buck cause a problem in kidding sense they are generally a larger breed than the Nigerian Dwarf?

Any info would be great! Thank you. :]

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
No, you do not breed a Nigerian Dwarf to a meat breed. They are too large- unless you are referring to a pygmy.
Nigerians also tend to have larger litters... couple that with a large buck and you have really great odds that your doe will not make it through kidding.

As far as leasing bucks you just need to be aware of STD's and diseases.
Many diseases are zoonotic so even though you may not want to keep a buck it is your most bio secure option. Of course that is only as good as the stock you have now and if they are disease free.
The reality is many that will stud their buck out to you will stud out to others and that is how terrible things happen in good herds.

Nigerian Bucks are wonderful. I would get two from different lines so that if you retain you have something to breed back to.

WildIrishRose

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Alright, that's about what I thought with the size disparity. It was a fleeting thought today in the middle of me researching rabbits. Thanks for the reply! :)

The person I'm going to buy my does from is willing to stud out each year. It's just quite a drive. They don't normally stud out, but it's my pastor's family. Lol
I keep thinking about how nice it would be to have a buck. And I'd love to have a flashy little boy to love on.
Is it better to keep the bucks always sesperate from the does? Are there times when you can have them together?
I'm only going to have an acre to work with here, but I desperately want milk. But it's also important that my goats are happy/healthy.

WildIrishRose

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
That's awesome! The area we might be moving to is not terribly far from Waco! Down in Kempner. :) So that would be awesome!

WildIrishRose

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
lol I joined a long time ago when I first moved to Texas. But haven't been ready for any goats till soon! Lol

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
You need to keep them separate when not breeding
An acre is enough room to have Bucks and does separate
I had close to 20 at one point on an Acre

WildIrishRose

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Oh wow! That's great news! That means I can keep some babies one day!
Is there "goat math" like there is "chicken math?" I feel like there would be. Lol And NDGs are so pretty. So many colors!
Alright, that settles it! I'm getting a buck or two! Lol

Latest posts