ragdollcatlady

Herd Master
Reaction score
I tried hot wire several times but was never able to get it to work at this place. We had it in town to keep the dogs from digging under the gate, but the dry sandy soil doesn't ground well (or something like that, so we gave up on the hot wire. I recently got some advice on running every other strand as a ground (from our friends on here) but haven't had the chance to try it yet.

About the jumpers... Our nigerian buck learned to jump it when I moved his mate into a breeding pen and he didn't want to be left alone. Then the other nigerian buck kid saw how to do it by watching him and they can do it so easily. They just don't usually know they that they can and aren't all that motivated to get out. I try and make sure everyone is well fed and has a friend if they aren't with the herd. Ravi (boer) just panicked when the rest of the doe herd got out and that was that. She actually caught her back leg and was hanging in the panel for a few seconds until I held her up enough to get her leg loose.... Talk about an adrenaline rush!!! One of Ravis doe kids from last year (a fat yearling) puts her back legs on the panel like she is going to climb it like a ladder.... I am just waiting.... might have to try that hot wire eventually for that one.

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
The area I'm going to doesn't have any regulations on all that unlike Williamson county, which is where I'm at currently. The new area is more comparable to what is on the east side of the 35, though.

I don't mean the regulations i mean what the land can support, as in general good herd management.

WildIrishRose

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
@misfitmorgan It's hard to say in that area because it's such a mix match area of land types. The spot we're in appears to be more developed agri land, with large oaks and old trees, while just a little ways over there's hard dirt, cactus, and cedar. :p But I would say if I had to compare, it would be more closely to that of which is over on the east side of the 35.

@Southern by choice I'll include that in my plans for sure then! I think I've got a pretty good idea of what I want to do. Although, I still have plenty of time to research before I can start getting my hands dirty. :p But I really like the idea of the 4ft fences just because it would be easier to see over for my short self, and the kiddos. How far up would you place the top hotwire? Maybe about 3 inches below the top, or all the way at the top?

WildIrishRose

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Went out there today and measured a bunch of areas that I had in mind for everyone. Here's my plans... bottom of the picture is East, top is West. Measurement is in foot. Orange lines are current ideas of where to put gates. If someone is in the middle pasture then the others would be let out in the big yard.

Attachments

• IMG_0005.jpg
    IMG_0005.jpg
    286 KB · Views: 108

WildIrishRose

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Mind you, I want 2 does, eventually 2 bucks. And maybe a couple of sheep one day. :p gotta plan for those somewhere too at some point. But if I raise any in the next few years it will be lambs for a few months each spring. :p. Nom nom nom lol

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
The house size could be tricking me but that looks like more then an acre of land if your counting everything inside of the new pasture and the "big yard" which i assume is where the pool is all the way to the wooden posts/fence already there.

WildIrishRose

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I thought it looked rather large too, but according to the owners and all that it's an acre. The house itself is about 1700 sqft and a nice little square so it doesn't take up a ton of unnecessary space. :]

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
There are several different apps and online places you can use satiliette photos to measure land area in acres. I really think thats over an acre, any recent surveys done?

This one works well
https://www.freemaptools.com/area-calculator.htm
Left mouse button and drag to move
Left mouse button click to set points
Center mouse button to zoom
There is a drop down on the top left to go from map to satellite view

Latest posts