WildIrishRose

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score

WildIrishRose

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
And talking water troughs. For Nigerian Dwarfs, is a 2ft W x 1ft H x 4ft L (40 gal) a good size? I'm thinking of chickens and babies and all kinds of animals that would like to drown themselves. So I imagine the 1ft height would be short enough for anything to escape from if need be.

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Those kind of gate latches worked fine for mine....until the pigs broke them. The only problem i can see with those is sometimes they do come open, we put a chain on the gates as well.

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
And talking water troughs. For Nigerian Dwarfs, is a 2ft W x 1ft H x 4ft L (40 gal) a good size? I'm thinking of chickens and babies and all kinds of animals that would like to drown themselves. So I imagine the 1ft height would be short enough for anything to escape from if need be.

Consider getting a water cup perhaps? 1ft is good and low but they will poo and pee in the water and then not drink it.

WildIrishRose

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Lol it feels spacious too. But that's after coming from the teeny tiny backyard I have now, and the even smaller "yard" I had in San Diego. :gig I figure if I manage my space well, it'll continue to feel spacious.

I like the chain idea. We also have either a lead rope or chain around horses' gates as well. Juuuuust in case.
A thought that occurred to me about the gate, does there need to be anything down at the bottom to secure it to? Will they wear on it down there trying to get out, or should the top latch be sufficient?

Alright, that was my other worry with the water too. Why do animals like to poop in their water?!:rant Annoys the crap out of me when the freaking horses do that.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
upload_2017-7-5_11-52-10.png

8 qt - easy to clean and fill- tanks get disgusting quickly and since you will only have a few 2 buckets in each field is better IMO