misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Thats the type of cup we are switching to after trying buckets and troughs but we have a lot of more critters then you. A bucket or 3 might work well for you. DH says he is going to mount the cup on a board that with a hinge to make cleaning easy. All the pigs will have water nipples and the sheep, goats, and llama will have the cup. We will have to use buckets/troughs in the coldest part of winter but you shouldnt have that issue.

The new place is going to have sure-latches on the gates so the pigs cant get through them. I was going to upgrade them here but DH said just wait. On our stall gates we put a latch 2/3s up from the bottom and then a hook&eye latch at the bottom 1/3 but again thats for the pigs lol.

WildIrishRose

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I like the idea of the cups since they're automatic and I could probably easily place them and run water lines out to them without much work. So that may be good. And then have buckets in there too, just in case something malfunctions or what have you. :)

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
The only issue with auto waterers that hook to hoses is the water gets HOT!
If the water line is not buried and you live in a hit region you will have problems.
I live in NC and if the hose is out (which it is strung out everywhere) we have to run the water a long time before cool water comes through.
The sun heats that water so hot that you cannot even keep your hand there while it is running.

My friend just got the some auto waterers and she has found out the hard way that the animals are not drinking because the lines are not buried and that water is scalding hot.

I am a bit fanatical about buckets. Ours are scrubbed and bleached daily and rinsed thoroughly at every refill.
Having dairy goats, I need to make sure they are drinking water and drinking well. Mine will not drink if the buckets are slimy, dog drool or yucky in any way.
Yes, your goats become like you- it is true- I am still slightly OCD.

We have
4- 5 gallon buckets in one field, plus 3- 2 gallon buckets in other areas. doe areas
3- 2 gallon buckets in another girl baby goats
2-2 gallons in another boy baby goats
1- 5 gallon bucket plus 2 2gallon buckets for Nigie and Mini bucks
1- 5 gallon bucket for 3 standard bucks area
2- 5 gallon buckets for Kikos

We have used barrels before when goats were off site and no hose access... fill 50 gallon drum with auto water and put in shade- that worked fine but was for kikos

Now- I can say filling these buckets is a PITB! Yes it is! BUT we have a lot of goats and Livestock Guardian dogs and I have no way to trench and put pipe down to run water to all locations so it is what it is for me.

I do see many farms that use auto waterers but truthfully I think they just forget about cleaning them because they are never filling them... most places I see this the waters are disgusting. :hide

animalmom

Herd Master
Reaction score
The reviews on that cup aren't that good. Seems it has a faulty shut off valve.

We have a couple larger flat back type buckets that we put a tank float on and connected that to a 55 gallon drum. In the winter I fill up once a week and in the summer at least twice a week. In one pen we have a large deep rubber dish that we use with a tank float and connect to another 55 gallon drum. Rarely do I find the goats have managed to poop in the water. I keep a toilet brush on top of each of the water drums so I can clean out the bucket. Easy to dump and it refills itself. Just have to keep water in the drums.

Even in the heart of Texas our winters will freeze water. Usually I can break up the ice on the top of the water bucket and fish out the chunks. The dainty goaties don't want to touch the ice to get to the water.

WildIrishRose

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Ooooh good idea with the tank floats too! :] There are spickets all over this place, so I could definitely hook some up, bury the lines to the buckets, and call it a day. Hmm maybe I'll just do that. These options are certainly cheaper than the $100 water troughs I was looking at, which makes me happy. lol

Lol I get the fanatics about the water buckets, Southern. I work at a horse ranch and we're forever cleaning buckets and troughs. Especially in the summer.

WildIrishRose

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Ok, so I wrote up a little list here and I'm just going through everything trying to decipher some of the costs.

So things I can build would be-
Shelter, milking stand, fence, feeder

Then some things to purchase
Goat minerals
Mineral feeder if I don't get the block form
Bedding (I'm thinking straw at this point)
Grain dish
Grain scoop
Collars
Brushes
Rectal thermometer
Hoof trimmers
5 gal buckets
Floats
Feed & Hay of course
Milking buckets
Funnel, strainer, and filters

It looks like more on paper than it does on the screen. Lol
Would this seem like basic needs? Am I missing anything that I should consider?

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
What breed are you getting? I think you posted it, but I may have missed it.

You will want to build up a small medicine cabinet and need to start looking around for a good, goat vet.

WildIrishRose

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
@Goat Whisperer, I am getting Nigerian Dwarfs. :D:weee

Thanks for that advice! I'll start searching around for one. :] What kinds of items do you like to have in your medicine cabinet?

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
I thought so!

You might want to stick with the 2gal buckets, especially if you are starting with kids. It takes them a while before they can drink out of a five gallon bucket.

For the troughs- like SBC said, I'm not a fan of them. Kids absolutely can drown in them as well! If/when your does kid out, you will need to lift or hang the small 2 gallon buckets as newborn can and will drown in those too. I've seen it many, many times on other folks farms.

As far as a medicine cabinet… over the years your really accumulate a lot of stuff :hide

Later I will post a brief list.

Establishing a relationship with a vet is critical. Goats are relatively easy- but when something goes wrong you a good relationship is critical.