TAH

Herd Master
Reaction score
I try to keep things as natural as possible and realized there are some things you just can't treat naturally!

What I had-

Pepper Mint Oil, Lavender Oil, Cinnamon Oil, etc, - Helps with swelling, pain, Bug repellents, etc.

VetRx Goat and Sheep Remedy

Apple Cider Vinger

Udder Balm

Betadine

Iodine

SafeGuard de-wormer (I gave molly's herbal but just in case I had SafeGuard)

Vet Wrap

Stitching Kit

Bee Balm

Dixie cups for random things (Work great when dipping the umbilical cord on kids)

Bleach

Homemade powder mix for goats with lice, fleas, etc (DE, Baking Soda)

Molasses

Corn Syrup

Needles for drawing blood

Towels, Lots of them

Thermometer

I think that is all but I always remember more after!

And I never had a vet but wish I did...

WildIrishRose

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Loving all the advice and feedback! Thank you all! :D Anything else I'm missing on my aforementioned list?

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
The only issue with auto waterers that hook to hoses is the water gets HOT!
If the water line is not buried and you live in a hit region you will have problems.
I live in NC and if the hose is out (which it is strung out everywhere) we have to run the water a long time before cool water comes through.
The sun heats that water so hot that you cannot even keep your hand there while it is running.

My friend just got the some auto waterers and she has found out the hard way that the animals are not drinking because the lines are not buried and that water is scalding hot.

I am a bit fanatical about buckets. Ours are scrubbed and bleached daily and rinsed thoroughly at every refill.
Having dairy goats, I need to make sure they are drinking water and drinking well. Mine will not drink if the buckets are slimy, dog drool or yucky in any way.
Yes, your goats become like you- it is true- I am still slightly OCD.

We have
4- 5 gallon buckets in one field, plus 3- 2 gallon buckets in other areas. doe areas
3- 2 gallon buckets in another girl baby goats
2-2 gallons in another boy baby goats
1- 5 gallon bucket plus 2 2gallon buckets for Nigie and Mini bucks
1- 5 gallon bucket for 3 standard bucks area
2- 5 gallon buckets for Kikos

We have used barrels before when goats were off site and no hose access... fill 50 gallon drum with auto water and put in shade- that worked fine but was for kikos

Now- I can say filling these buckets is a PITB! Yes it is! BUT we have a lot of goats and Livestock Guardian dogs and I have no way to trench and put pipe down to run water to all locations so it is what it is for me.

I do see many farms that use auto waterers but truthfully I think they just forget about cleaning them because they are never filling them... most places I see this the waters are disgusting. :hide

I definately imagine a hose laying on the ground would be a poor source for a watercup, even up here the hoses get hot. We have a water spigot inside of the barn so it all stays in shade and the line is burried 6 ft down so no issues with hot hoses for us.

animalmom

Herd Master
Reaction score
I would not use a mineral block as I have heard the block can hurt the goats' teeth.

I use this for their minerals. I clip it to their fence. https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/fortiflex-mf-2-mineral-feeder-2x175-qt-capacity-black

I use an almost instant read thermometer I bought at Dollar Tree for $1.00. It works fast, beeps when it decides it has the correct temperature and is easy to clean off. Did I mention it works fast? Goats are not known for their understanding and capacity to stand still.

WildIrishRose

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I was reading that they like to stand on the mineral blocks, and then won't eat it. I find it humorous how picky goats apparently are. lol

That looks like it would work perfectly. :] Thank you for the link!!
Dollar Tree is amazing! Nice to know you don't have to buy a super expensive thermometer. I remember when I had my first kid, I AGONIZED over which thermometer to get. lol