Questionable Buck Behavior

bethh

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
We have a ND buck, Willie. We got him as an adult, back in January. He insists on rubbing his head, disbudded, on me specifically my shins. He is very forceful and it hurts. Is he just being sweet or is he trying to exert his dominance over me? Irregardless, how do I stop him? Here he is... he’s bigger now
View attachment 76344

B&B Happy goats

Herd Master
Reaction score
We have a ND buck, Willie. We got him as an adult, back in January. He insists on rubbing his head, disbudded, on me specifically my shins. He is very forceful and it hurts. Is he just being sweet or is he trying to exert his dominance over me? Irregardless, how do I stop him? Here he is... he’s bigger now
View attachment 76344
That is pretty much normal buck behavior here, I use my leg to deter the head rubbing action, sometimes a tap on the nose to discourage him.....good luck

bethh

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
That is pretty much normal buck behavior here, I use my leg to deter the head rubbing action, sometimes a tap on the nose to discourage him.....good luck
I’ve used the metal trash can lid. Daily, I wonder how people deal with it when their goats have horns. I’d be a bloody mess.

B&B Happy goats

Herd Master
Reaction score
I’ve used the metal trash can lid. Daily, I wonder how people deal with it when their goats have horns. I’d be a bloody mess.
Mine have horns, lol..sometimes they come in handy for this old lady to grab a hold of ....:love
the polled buck will rub on the back of my leg but he usually wants a scratching of his head...spoiled goats also chew on my shirt, sit on my lap and will jockey for position to sit next to us when we are out with them....but they keep us laughing ...

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
That time of year. There are musk glands on a buck near the horns. Even if disbudded, he may be having some activity from those and it is time for rut. Smack his nose & tell him "NO"....each time. He loves you! :D If you watch, he'll do this to the does. They love it.

bethh

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
That time of year. There are musk glands on a buck near the horns. Even if disbudded, he may be having some activity from those and it is time for rut. Smack his nose & tell him "NO"....each time. He loves you! :D If you watch, he'll do this to the does. They love it.
That’s what I was afraid of. I come in smelling to high heaven.

SaanenMom

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Squirt gun filled full and shot in his face.

When I smacked the nose of one of my bucks (have 6 Saanens....all over 225 lbs and 36+ inches), he bowed his neck at me. When I got in his face to push him back, he reared up a couple times, but came straight down fortunately. He was taking over the herd and me from the 11 yr old. Being 69 and on blood thinners, I can't afford to be injured. The squirt gun really worked on him. It caused him to turn away from me.

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
Hose works even better if that's an option, if you get desperate. It will also not harm him.
One of my ND bucks kept trying to pee on me through the fence while I filled the water daily (worst behaved breed, imo). One day I got sick of it and decided to show him "mine". The hose had a nozzle on it for a little pressure to help wash out troughs. It had a nice long range. As a 20 something year old woman with a garden hose, I won the peeing contest that day and over a year later he still has not tried again. I peed him all the way across the pen until he gave up and ran away-unheard of for that blockhead. He's reasonably respectful now. I suspect I may still have to "pee" him down for biting or trying to butt me occasionally, but he's heading out soon to serve someone else's herd and bestow them with his actually nice genetics. I might bathe him for extra respect points so he behaves for the new owner, lol (and he'll smell nice and fruity too!). I am the head buck, after all.

bethh

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Hose works even better if that's an option, if you get desperate. It will also not harm him.
One of my ND bucks kept trying to pee on me through the fence while I filled the water daily (worst behaved breed, imo). One day I got sick of it and decided to show him "mine". The hose had a nozzle on it for a little pressure to help wash out troughs. It had a nice long range. As a 20 something year old woman with a garden hose, I won the peeing contest that day and over a year later he still has not tried again. I peed him all the way across the pen until he gave up and ran away-unheard of for that blockhead. He's reasonably respectful now. I suspect I may still have to "pee" him down for biting or trying to butt me occasionally, but he's heading out soon to serve someone else's herd and bestow them with his actually nice genetics. I might bathe him for extra respect points so he behaves for the new owner, lol (and he'll smell nice and fruity too!). I am the head buck, after all.
Love it. I don’t necessarily have a hose close. I may need to remedy that. The ear lunching worked for a couple of days. I’ll have to bring a super soaker to the area so that I have access when needed.

bethh

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Squirt gun filled full and shot in his face.

When I smacked the nose of one of my bucks (have 6 Saanens....all over 225 lbs and 36+ inches), he bowed his neck at me. When I got in his face to push him back, he reared up a couple times, but came straight down fortunately. He was taking over the herd and me from the 11 yr old. Being 69 and on blood thinners, I can't afford to be injured. The squirt gun really worked on him. It caused him to turn away from me.
I’m going to bring one to that area for when he decides to be a pain.

Latest posts