Questions about minerals.

Duckfarmerpa1

Herd Master
Reaction score
We are having my mini pigs specifically made for them. Pig minerals are in it. Do they need access to free minerals like goats do? Also...right now I have my pot belly pi in with two goats....they are verrrryyyy bonded. But it’s getting time to separate them. She can go by the minis. Anyways...if the goats eat Portlys minerals...will they get sick? Should I move them ASAP? It’s no problem, the pen is already set up...plus, she’s being dewormEd on Friday. Will the worms in her Pooh be dangerous to my goats? Just move her? That’s Portly, the momma goat..no name yet and Sugar!
3D64B223-4A97-4DE1-ABAC-61B3101AEF84.jpeg
E65E513A-6D70-4067-AF9E-10C249D9D1DC.jpeg
87B121D3-3D3C-4028-82B4-C3C6B593832F.jpeg

Grant

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
If you are buying a formulated feed for the pigs, additional mineral should not be needed. The worms probably aren’t dangerous, but the goats will likely need a deworming again also. Short knowing the mineral needs of the goats and what is in the mineral they have access to I don’t know. Short answer is that in the short term there shouldn’t be an issue but if they have access continually, then maybe. A quick look would make me think copper may be the most dangerous, but copper needs of pigs and goats are fairly similar so I can’t imagine there’s a big over amount of it in the feed.

Duckfarmerpa1

Herd Master
Reaction score
The goats get loose minerals free choice in a bag called Wind & Rain from Tractor Supply. It’s supposed to be one of the best out there? Portly doesn’t let the goats eat her food... :lol: she’s kind of piggy that way....so, I suppose if she’s getting the minerals in the feed, then, as you said, she’ll be good. I will deworm the the goats, as they need it, waiting to get needles tomorrow at TS...mine are done in. I think last night we decided to move Portly over next to the mini pigs. And, then, perhaps, she can then live with them once they bond. I really don’t like the idea of my pig and goats sharing pasture. Portly does go potty only in one spot...but, I still worry. Then, once the spring comes, we rotate pasture...but, right now thereswayyy too much snow again! Everything shut down last night. Plus, I’m training the new goats to be free range during the day, and only need penned at night. :) :)