Questions about registering goats

Wyandottes7

Just born
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I'm new to this forum though I've been on the sister forum Backyardchickens for several years now. I joined BackyardHerds because I have some questions about the process of registering goats with the ADGA.

I've shown goats with a family for the past few years just at local/county fairs. This has never required the family to register goats. This year, the family and I want to try showing at the State Fair, which requires goats to be registered. I've been doing some research on the whole registration process but it is hard to know exactly how to proceed. Hopefully you all can answer my questions!

1. We are not yet members of the ADGA. We have to become members of the ADGA before we register the goats, right?

2. The goats have never been registered and are not out of registered stock, so it seems like we will be registering them as recorded grades/Native on Appearance. Am I correct that this requires submitting this Native on Appearance form and this registration form?

3. We have been simplistic when tattooing the goats, tattooing just one ear and with only numbers (i.e., 01, 02, etc.) in the past. It sounds like we now need to develop a herd-identifying tattoo sequence to put in the right ear (i.e., ABC), correct? Do we also need to expand on the number-only individual identification number that we've been using and add letters to it? Or could we, for example, use ABC in the right ear and just 01 in the left ear? Do we need to include the birth-year letter in the left ear tattoo?

4. Is it possible to submit to become a member of the ADGA and submit a registration application for a specific goat simultaneously? Or will we be unable to submit a goat registration application until we are confirmed members? I see on the goat registration application that in section 10 (Breeder) an ID# is requested. Does that refer to the breeder's ADGA ID#? If we don't yet have ADGA ID#s, would we just put "pending" in that part of the application?

Thank you in advance for answering all these questions! I'm sure I will have more but these are all that I can think of for now. If you have any other helpful information/stories about registering herds, I would appreciate all the information I can get.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I'm new to this forum though I've been on the sister forum Backyardchickens for several years now. I joined BackyardHerds because I have some questions about the process of registering goats with the ADGA.

I've shown goats with a family for the past few years just at local/county fairs. This has never required the family to register goats. This year, the family and I want to try showing at the State Fair, which requires goats to be registered. I've been doing some research on the whole registration process but it is hard to know exactly how to proceed. Hopefully you all can answer my questions!

1. We are not yet members of the ADGA. We have to become members of the ADGA before we register the goats, right?

2. The goats have never been registered and are not out of registered stock, so it seems like we will be registering them as recorded grades/Native on Appearance. Am I correct that this requires submitting this Native on Appearance form and this registration form?

3. We have been simplistic when tattooing the goats, tattooing just one ear and with only numbers (i.e., 01, 02, etc.) in the past. It sounds like we now need to develop a herd-identifying tattoo sequence to put in the right ear (i.e., ABC), correct? Do we also need to expand on the number-only individual identification number that we've been using and add letters to it? Or could we, for example, use ABC in the right ear and just 01 in the left ear? Do we need to include the birth-year letter in the left ear tattoo?

4. Is it possible to submit to become a member of the ADGA and submit a registration application for a specific goat simultaneously? Or will we be unable to submit a goat registration application until we are confirmed members? I see on the goat registration application that in section 10 (Breeder) an ID# is requested. Does that refer to the breeder's ADGA ID#? If we don't yet have ADGA ID#s, would we just put "pending" in that part of the application?

Thank you in advance for answering all these questions! I'm sure I will have more but these are all that I can think of for now. If you have any other helpful information/stories about registering herds, I would appreciate all the information I can get.
What breed of goats?

Nigerian Dwarf is a closed herdbook meaning you cannot do NOA, grades etc.
Nothing crossed with a Nigerian can be registered either.

NOA - you must have a member in good standing measure, weigh and generally be familiar with the breed that can sign off on NOA paperwork. For example, we have a NOA Lamancha. We took her to another breeder, she went over her- measured to make sure she meets min. height requirement, weight and to confirm ears and head were in accordance with the breed standard. She then signed off on the paperwork for submission.

When becoming a member you need to pick out a farm name and tattoo sequence, have it approved. If the tattoo sequence is already in use you will have to pick another.
This will be used on the goats. If you already have tattoos in them this may be a bit trickier. Calling ADGA is probably a good idea.
Generally a kid born on your farm takes your herd letters in the right ear (or tail web) and the year and sequence in the left.

Wyandottes7

Just born
Reaction score
What breed of goats?

Nigerian Dwarf is a closed herdbook meaning you cannot do NOA, grades etc.
Nothing crossed with a Nigerian can be registered either.

NOA - you must have a member in good standing measure, weigh and generally be familiar with the breed that can sign off on NOA paperwork. For example, we have a NOA Lamancha. We took her to another breeder, she went over her- measured to make sure she meets min. height requirement, weight and to confirm ears and head were in accordance with the breed standard. She then signed off on the paperwork for submission.

When becoming a member you need to pick out a farm name and tattoo sequence, have it approved. If the tattoo sequence is already in use you will have to pick another.
This will be used on the goats. If you already have tattoos in them this may be a bit trickier. Calling ADGA is probably a good idea.
Generally a kid born on your farm takes your herd letters in the right ear (or tail web) and the year and sequence in the left.

Thank you for answering! They are Oberhasli goats, so I think NOA would work.

Fullhousefarm

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Thank you for answering! They are Oberhasli goats, so I think NOA would work.

Also remember that as NOA goats they will show with the recorded grades for several generations. If you are going to continue to breed and show in registered shows if might be wise to acquire a registered buck and use him to your babies start at 50% Ober. We've registered two Lamanchas as NOA.