questions about using outside stud

rellikmalinois

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

We are new to goats this year and I am interested in breeding my two Kiko Does. I found a Kiko stud about 45minutes from my house. The stud owner has asked me when I am looking to expose them.

What should I expect to pay, how should things go, and when should I bring them to be bred?

michickenwrangler

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I pay $15 for stud fee on a fullblood Boer buck, but that's our "4-H discount" so it might be more for you.

Luckily, I'm in the goat business full-time and so is this stud owner. So it's a pretty simple matter of whenever I see target doe standing at fence, blatting and waving her tail, I then call him and he usually tells me "Bring her on up."

Last year, one breeding was a "wham, bam, thank you ma'am" in that the stud hit the doe 3x in about 90 minutes. He wasn't much interested in the other, she was probably out of heat by that time.

2nd doe came in 18 days later, again, called owner, he said to bring her up. I brought her up and she was maybe just a little too early at that point, so she got to stay the weekend. She was lactating at the time, but he's an experienced goat owner with both meat and dairy so milking her twice a day was no big deal for him. She took on that breeding

The 4-H leader and I see each other on a regular basis and we do trade goats back and forth a bit so we're familiar with the health status of one another's herds and the germs are mixing anyway, so he's not a stickler for biosecurity from my animals and vice versa. Another stud owner may want CAE, CL or Johnes' free status and may get more neurotic about germs and disease (for good reason if he's breeding a lot of outside does). Usually for the "sleep over dates", a stud owner may charge a daily fee to cover feed and labor, more if the doe is lactating.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
I think it depends more on the sires lines/pedigree and stats.
My Farm Partner has a Kiko Buck with great lines etc, he is also acquiring a New Zealand Buck with a great pedigree.
There is no way he would charge $15 .

If you are leaving the does there for a period of time expect to pay considerably more than that.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
The going rate around here is about 50.00 -100.00 if it is good pedigrees and then 2.00 a day for boarding. If it is EXCELLENT pedigrees you can even pay more than that.

Latest posts