Questions from the newbie

dfunnyfarm

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
My calf is only taking about 1 1/2 pints at each feeding. He is really sloppy and dosn't seem to understand the bottle. I have a bucket of water for him and I have watched him try to drink but mostly he just dunks his nose in. His stools look a little better today there was a couple of solid places in it and it no longer has any blood in it. After working at it all day yesterday I finnally got him to take 4 pints (that was total for the day). This morning I went out to feed him and he acted hungry but only took 1 1/2 pints. He really wanted to play. What am I doing wrong? What else should I be doing? He is about 5-6 days old. Should I offer him calf starter? What can I do different? Thanks for all the help.
Stephanie
ETA: he has watery eyes and I noticed a runny nose this morning but I didn't notice it until after I fed him and He seems to get the milk everywhere.

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
STUBBORN CALF!

Did you buy him from someone you know? I'm wondering about his birth. Some calves are just slow starters but, a hard birth can really complicate things. Has his tongue been swollen (again I'm thinking of his birth) or funny-doesn't seem to work right.

Also, what breed is he so we can get an idea about how much he should be eating and the general temperment of the breed.

It sounds like you are doing what you can. I would advise adding a probiotic to his milk/milk replacer too. I would do once a day for a couple days and see if that helps get him going. Feed frequently throughout the day.

As for grain, it can go in front of him at anytime. Start with just a little bit for him to sniff and nibble at and he may or may not start to eay it right away. I've had two day old calves eat grain and I've had couple week old calves that still want nothing to do with it. Each calf veries.

Keep an eye on his nose and eyes before you feed him. If they continue to be runny take note of any color or other symptoms her is displaying and get back to us.

MReit

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Well as long as he is drinking something that is good, got to keep it hydrated. Could give it some pennicillian, I'm sure it wouldn't hurt and also some meds for scours. Other then that, sloppyness could just be him WAY over exceited! haha I had some calves like that and they were just sooo exceited they couldn't concentrate on just drinking their milk, but they did- it just took alot longer.Good luck with him, just have patience which it sounds like you do :):welcome

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Other than treating for the scours please do not medicate unless you have a reason. The "it couldn't hurt" theroy does hurt. It's part of what helps these bugs build immunity to antibiotics.

dfunnyfarm

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
He is a holstin. I got him from some people who bought him to replace a calf their cow lost but she rejected him. They said they were milking her and bottling the calf, he was strong and fast, but they didn't have time for him. When I picked him up he was laying in a dirty pen with dirty water and chicken feed scattered
283_bottle_calf.jpg
everywhere. The people didn't even show up when I went to pick him up just an old farmer who said it wasn't his responsiblity. He did say that they got him from the local dairy.

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Hmmmm. I have to wonder how well they took care of him. His living conditions don't sound like they were all that great. His problem may stem from the fact that he wasn't fed well, or at all.

Check his tongue and make sure it's working properly. Easiest way would be to see if he can suck on your finger and if the tongue curls up and around your finger his tongue should be fine. Then it's on to probiotics in his bottle and frequent feedings. Hopefully, after a few days, he will eat fine. If he wasn't fed properly before it could be just like MRiet said and that he is to excited. Once he knows the bottle will arrive on a regular basis to feed him he may settle down. You could also try rubbing him down with your hands when he takes a break. Sometimes that will help calm them too.

dfunnyfarm

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Thank you for the advice. I don't see anything wrong with his tounge. He mouths everything the wire panles, the feed trough, the water bucket. He even stands and licks the metal post that holds the windmill up. I do sit and rub him in between and that seems to help. He does alot of pacing around and around me when I go to feed. When I get him started he does good for a couple of seconds then we are back at square one. I am so worried I am doing something wrong. I have bottle feed goats, dogs, kittens, even rabbits. I didn't think this would be much different, boy was I wrong. LOL! Thanks again for the great advice.
Stephanie
ETA: He dosn't suck on my fingers very good. He tends to mouth it and curl his tounge out and around my hand.

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Sounds like he's just going to take more effort to feed. Some are just that way. Hopefully, after a few days things will turn around.

Good luck and keep us posted.

dfunnyfarm

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Ok I am so stupid. I just re-read the directions on the milk replacer and I have been mixing it wrong. I was mixing it 50/50 and I am suppose to mix 1part milk replacer to 2 quarts water. Have I done him major harm? He only took 4 pints of it like that over the last 2 days.

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
No harm. And you're not stupid. Make sure the water you used is warm or he's not going to be happy with it.