1. BYH Official Poll: What are the things that you should consider before buying herds?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  2. Nice to see some Back Yard Chickens members here. Let's feature one this week. - Featured Thread
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. BYH Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Questions on New Mother and Lost Litter

Discussion in 'Birthing, Weaning and Raising Young Rabbits' started by Edge of the Wilderness, May 14, 2019.

1. May 14, 2019
    Edge of the Wilderness

Edge of the Wilderness Chillin' with the herd

I have a first time mother who prior to kindling was very antsy with her nesting box. She would build her nest and then proceed to dig and fling the whole thing out and start over again. She kindled Saturday Night/Sunday Morning. Everything seemed to be going ok. She had 7 kits; one was a loss. I saw her nurse them Sunday Night. The 6 remaining kits were huddled and healthy looking.

Yesterday morning I was a little under the weather and didn't get out to check on things until around lunch. When I checked her cage, I noticed that the nesting materials in her box were pushed to the edges so that there was a depression in the center and could not see the kits. I immediately pulled the box to check for kits. I found them spread out against the sides at the very bottom of the box. No two were together and they were all dead. My assumption was that she started messing with the nest again and shoved them all over the place at the bottom of the nesting box. Does it seem possible that is what happened? Is there another explanation for what I found?

Should I chalk this experience up to a first time mom thing? Or should I expect her to continue to have failures? Is there something I could have done to help prevent this?

B&B Happy goats and AmberLops like this.
  2. May 14, 2019
    AmberLops

AmberLops True BYH Addict

I'm sorry for your loss!
    It definitely sounds like a first-time mom thing. They usually do mess things up the first time.
    Rabbits will always make an indentation in the nest to keep the babies in one place...It's unusual for the babies to all be spread out and it sounds like she probably was digging in her nest.
    Re-breed her today and give her 2 more strikes :hugs

B&B Happy goats likes this.
  3. May 14, 2019
    Edge of the Wilderness

Edge of the Wilderness Chillin' with the herd

The babies had been in the center of the nest last I saw them on Sunday night. Silly mom fidgeting with her nest. :rolleyes: Thanks for the feedback!

B&B Happy goats and AmberLops like this.
  4. May 14, 2019
    AmberLops

AmberLops True BYH Addict

You're welcome!
    I hope it goes better next time :fl

B&B Happy goats likes this.