Questions on questions to breeders

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Since all you're looking for are pets and have no intention of breeding, is there a specific reason why you're paying a breeder's price? I mean really, you can look on Craigs List and find goats pretty regularly and since you don't need to worry about genetics, you only have to worry about the general health of what you might consider purchasing. I mean did the seller take good care of the animals, and are they healthy? You don't want to bring diseased stock onto your property. Yes, I understand bio-security, and I understand there are risks buying untested animals and the like. I also understand starting a relationship with a breeder. However;

There's no need to pay a breeder's high price for a pet goat. You say you won't be considering breeding for several years yet. There are good people with healthy goats who are selling for any variety of reasons... their (human) kids may have had them for 4H and are now out of the program. Or they may be moving and can no longer keep them, getting older and downsizing, etc. There are hundreds of reasons. There are good goats available and you might save an excellent, friendly animal that otherwise might not fare so well. And you might get them at an excellent price. Just a thought... The decision is obviously up to you for the reasons most important to you :D

Hope you'll share some pics of them when you get them!:thumbsup

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Agree... would not pay full price for a wether.
Tested healthy herds are still a must in my book.
Most wetheres are from $75- $125.... $150 being on the high end.

Slipperygoose

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Honestly my main concern is health. I'd be really upset if we brought home this new baby, only for him to become sick and pass away (worst case scenario). Also, I'd REALLY like them to be disbudded because I keep seeing post after post about how they can easily hurt children by accident, or even themselves and other goats. Since my girls will be out there everyday (my oldest doesn't start Kindergarten till the fall) I want them safe. We got 6 ducklings at the end of March, and they, no joke, handle them daily, and I know adorable little goats would be just as bad in terms of my girls becoming obsessed with being with them everyday. With that said, I know breeders 99% of the time disbud.
I'm seeing several for around $150 and I think that's very affordable, down from the $300-$500 range for bucklings, and I just can't afford that, since I won't be generating any income from them. Many Craigslist listings around here don't disbud... I've never owned larger livestock like this so I'd like to start with disbudded babies. I appreciate your questions, I think it makes my needs and wants and little clearer. I'm by no means a good writer and so I never know if I'm being clear when I post here.
I'm just trying to gather as much information as possible before committing and bringing home any animal. I've bought 3 books on the subject, but it's not really enough, and I can get even more info reading these threads. You all are the only people I know with any sort of goat experience so I feel this is the best place to ask all my dumb questions without being laughed out of the room. Maybe owning goats is only for people with a certain amount of income? Not really for the little family who's always dreamt of life on a farm? I seem to be in a gray area between wanting less expensive but still pretty and healthy livestock? :idunno Idk..

Edit: Craigslist almost never has more than one wether listed, and I don't want to get one and then have the poor thing be lonely until I can find another, so through a breeder I can easily get multiples at once.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Really, there's no "stupid/idiotic/silly questions" here... We all joke and cut up sometimes but never take it personally... It really is a great group here. You'll learn an awful lot just reading the various thread posts, but... there will STILL be questions because different folks understand things differently and this is all one dimensional communication... Just have fun, and enjoy!

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
I agree with @Latestarter there really isn't a "dumb or stupid" question. We don't know something til we know it... that is how we all learn... by asking questions.

Maybe owning goats is only for people with a certain amount of income?
Nope. You just need to be able to provide proper feed, housing and if necessary vet care.

Most of us that are breeding goats do not make a dime off it. The sale of animals really goes to feeding them. :)
If I could break even ... oh, nevermind... daydreaming again. :p

Private message me and I may have a place for you to look into.

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
Cedar View Farm in Ten Mile TN.
Fields of Grace in Sevierville TN

Both are very reputable. Contact them and ask them if they have wethers.

Slipperygoose

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Well it looks very promising that I'll be a new goat mama this weekend!! One problem: 2 different people say they have goats. One has them ready to go, and a local breeder says she picking her wethers sometime this weekend. What do I say to the breeder if I end up getting them from the other person? I'm feeling guilt because I'm weird like that. I know this is a business transaction type deal, but I feel bad toward the person whose goats I don't buy. Make sense? Ugh. My DH says I'm too sensitive and times like this I see it! Lol

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
I would visit both places and decide which you like.
We do not ever send goats off when someone just visits. Unless they are out of state or very far away and usually we have already talked and they are coming for goat class and pick up.
This allows both parties to feel comfortable.

I have turned people away after I saw their interaction.
I have also found allowing them to visit and think on it saves everyone hassle.
I had a lady once that really wanted one of our does, wanted to leave a deposit etc... all I can say is I "knew" something wasn't right. Long story a week later she called and had found other goats ( I never took deposit). Congratulated her and kept in touch. 9 months later she was getting rid of the goats because she didn't have time for them.
I have also walked away from goats that were absolutely wonderful goats but not exactly what I was looking for.

Slipperygoose

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Thank you so much for this @Southern by choice !! I feel a lot better about walking away. I mean, I guess I could end up getting one from each person! I'm such a pushover sometimes... lol

Latest posts