Quick and easy cattle panel hoola-hoop house

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
I don't think there is even a question as to whether or not you can weld cattle panels, they are created by welding right????
Yep, but in the plant, a different kind of welding. Resistance to current flow creates the heat. it is not like it would be done by any home or even local shop welder. No filler material is used in the manufacturing process--it's welded simply by pressing the 2 pieces together and passing electrical current between the 2 pieces, instantly fusing them together via the high temperature. A machine does it, welding all the joints in one line at once, then the next line of joints joint moves under the electrodes and it is done--very quickly, with no sacrificial material. At home, we would have to use a filler, either stick or wire feed welder to heat the joint to fusion temps plus add the filler from the wire feed or from the welding rod.

I used to have a single point spot welder, and it worked by the same principle as welded wire and panels, but just one spot at a time.
Here is a sample machine--they all work on the same principle. Action starts about 45 seconds in--you have to watch closely to even see the vertical stays dropped down and welded to the long runners. Blink and you miss them.

soarwitheagles

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Yep, but in the plant, a different kind of welding. Resistance to current flow creates the heat. it is not like it would be done by any home or even local shop welder. No filler material is used in the manufacturing process--it's welded simply by pressing the 2 pieces together and passing electrical current between the 2 pieces, instantly fusing them together via the high temperature. A machine does it, welding all the joints in one line at once, then the next line of joints joint moves under the electrodes and it is done--very quickly, with no sacrificial material. At home, we would have to use a filler, either stick or wire feed welder to heat the joint to fusion temps plus add the filler from the wire feed or from the welding rod.

I used to have a single point spot welder, and it worked by the same principle as welded wire and panels, but just one spot at a time.
Here is a sample machine--they all work on the same principle. Action starts about 45 seconds in--you have to watch closely to even see the vertical stays dropped down and welded to the long runners. Blink and you miss them.

Greybeard,

The amazing world of automation. I watched that video you posted and I can only say, WOW!

Well, I am so sorry to say I had to stop all work on the hoop house due to one of the worst upper respiratory infections I have ever experienced. Our sheep at this very moment are out in the 59F cold rain, and it is pouring cats and dogs [and sheep]. I think we are due to have more large storms until Sunday. If it keeps raining this much, I will switch from building a hoop house to an ark.

Thanks for the input everyone regarding welding the cattle panel. First break in the weather and I will do my best to "tack" the cattle panel every few inches on the inside of the hoop house. My concern is the hog rings will not be able to keep the panel exactly straight...and I feel this is important if I am to avoid ripping the new tarp.

The dimension of the hoop house is 8ft x 12ft. The height is approximately 6'6".

I just had a new idea, and I know this sounds funny, but I think I will cut down a Eucalyptus tree that is 3-4 feet in front of the hoop house and use it to attach my rafter beam. The tree is nearly dead center, and I could cut it exactly 6 feet up from the ground and attach the center beam for the roof. Should work fine. I need something that will get the job done for the next five months.

Came home today to find all the sheep wet and cold. Our Ag building flooded again. Doppler radar is showing large swaths of red and orange...so we are getting hit hard again. I wish I had built this hoop house much sooner...and I hope our flock will weather these next three storms until I can complete their hoop house...

Will post pics when weather permits more work.

Last edited:

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
Stay safe my friend, this is another bad one. My house faces due south and is getting pounded with fierce wind and rain. Can I start missing the drought?

Hope you get well soon too.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
Priority 1 plans are always getting shoved to the side by something aren't they!

rest, fluids, chicken soup, antibiotics, get better!

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I just saw this, your hoop house looks good so far. Sorry that you are sick, I hate being sick. Add a lot of fresh ginger and garlic to that chicken soup! As far as your fears of tearing the tarp, I just had a redneck brain flash! DUCT TAPE!!! Get the air conditioning type used on duct work, it has aluminum backing. Position half of the strip on the edge of the cow panel, then fold it over on itself, sealing off the edge. That should work long enough for your needs and keep the tarp from ripping to shreds.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Get well! You're animals and people need you! Just looked at the NOAA weather data... I really feel for you folks in CA right now. I thought I had water problems... you are definitely making up for missed rainfall. The only problem is too much, way too fast! Try to keep your heads and your animal's heads above the floods!

soarwitheagles

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
You people sure are nice and friendly. Thank you for your care and concern.

Poor Moo Moo, so wet, so cold...I very much wish I had my act together better after seeing his shivering in the rain this evening...

Babs, our power just came back on after a couple of hours of no power. I have not experienced this type of wind storms and speeds since living up near the summit in the Santa Cruz mountains. We have trees down here everywhere. And I just heard the most horrible sounding crash, 300 yards away at one of our neighbors...I think a tree landed on her barn. This is insane. The news just said 56 mph at Sac airport, but I know the wind speed here has had gusts up near 70 mph.

Even though we carefully tied down tarps over the hay stacks outside, my wife and I had to fight the wind and rain this evening and install new tarps. Lesson learned: I will NEVER store hay outside during winter months here again. We lost a lot of hay already from the last storms [wet/damp, then the dreaded mold]. We thought moving hay/clover/alfalfa from the Ag building to a location near the sheep pen was a good idea. Being a city slicker who grew up in Silicon Valley, this is a crash course on how to live on a ranch/farm.

So I have definitely had better weeks before in my life!

Now to keep things in perspective, I simply remind myself of the terrible suffering I saw in various nations in Asia, as well as various medical conditions I saw there where people could not even afford a doctor...and suddenly, my massive Himalayan size problems turned into tiny little mole hills, barely even noticeable...

It is so nice to have a positive perspective...

Last edited:

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
Greybeard,

Well, I am so sorry to say I had to stop all work on the hoop house due to one of the worst upper respiratory infections I have ever experienced. Our sheep at this very moment are out in the 59F cold rain, and it is pouring cats and dogs [and sheep]. I think we are due to have more large storms until Sunday. If it keeps raining this much, I will switch from building a hoop house to an ark.

That same (or a similar) upper respiratory illness came thru this region last month and into this month. Everyone I know (including myself) got it and it hangs around for a couple-3 weeks.
Doesn't seem to matter if one goes to the Dr or not--still same length of recovery from what I have seen.
Druggist recommended a product called Coricidin HPB over all others, and it kicked butt for me. (The HPB part is for people with heart disease--you can get the regular stuff or the HPB stuff) for me, it worked well.
https://www.coricidinhbp.com/img/products/maximum-strength-flu_l.png

good luck.

Latest posts