Rabbit Attack!! (To be Expected, Or time to Butcher?) (pic on Post #7)

jktrahan

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
He's enjoying a nice hickory smoke treatment as I type this....

DKRabbitry

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
LOL Glad you made your decition... I just want to add my 20 pennies
For those of you that suggested breed him WHAT WERE YOU THINKING!!!!? I have had rabbits for a couple years now, and a lot of bucks and does have passed through my hutches, and I have NEVER had a rabbit behave like that. Sure we have had sprayers and those that mount their litter mates and such, but never attacked or humped objects like a glove. The very LAST Thing you would want to do is pass on those mentally unstable genetics. Just my opinion....

Bimpnottin

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
We had a rabbit when we were kids (so don't remember the breed) that hated women. My brothers or Dad would go in and feed him and he was fine. Mom or one of us girls and he would charge at us. My Mom started taking a hammer in with her when she had to do the feedings and that's how that lousy little SOB met his end. No matter how pretty they are or what size they are, I would never pass those mental genes on to a future generation.

Okie Amazon

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
God, that is a horrid looking bite! I hope you are on some antibiotics and DO soak in strong Epsom salt water as hot as you can stand. Spread the BBQ sauce on that bun!

cattlecait

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
DKRabbitry said:
LOL Glad you made your decition... I just want to add my 20 pennies
For those of you that suggested breed him WHAT WERE YOU THINKING!!!!? I have had rabbits for a couple years now, and a lot of bucks and does have passed through my hutches, and I have NEVER had a rabbit behave like that. Sure we have had sprayers and those that mount their litter mates and such, but never attacked or humped objects like a glove. The very LAST Thing you would want to do is pass on those mentally unstable genetics. Just my opinion....
I posted that before seeing the photo, he sounded like our bucks when they don't get bred for awhile. After seeing the photo, yes, beyond just being a horny butthead. Glad you decided to butcher him!

PattySh

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Glad he's being BBQed. I had a NZ male that was nasty tempered and peed on me several times the last time he got me right in the face. He was a lousy breeder had trouble "hitting the target!".As soon as I got cleaned up from being peed on he got butchered. His son is fine, I didn't raise the rabbit not sure what happened with him. All offspring had fine temperaments.

norcal

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I've noticed our buck's personality seeming a bit different this last month or so (not as friendly & he seems grumpy). :)

We bred him the first time about 2 months ago (he's 1 yr).

I was wondering if he's "frustrated" now that he "KNOWS what his purpose is" (breeding). :)

However, that said, if he ever bit me like that he'd go in the freezer. I just don't put up w/ that, but I don't put up w/ roosters either, because we've never had a nice rooster.

Lizzie098

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Yeah I have a pretty wild buck too. He likes to 'scent' any thing I give him almost before it touches the ground! At first he was really crazy and bit me all the time but now he is very sweet. :love
Although your rabbit seemes pretty wild, I think he has just reached his breeding age and should calm down a little, after a few months. We had some crazy males that tried riding anything in sight, but after a while they calmed down too. I guess it depends on what you want him for, because if its for breeding he should be perfect for that ;) . Or you can give him 4-5 months (some times longer)and see how he is then. I now know I almost got rid of one of my best Rabbits. :)

Oops!! Just see he's already being fried!!! Hope he atleast tastes good!!!

hoodat

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
My buck is the sweetest tempered bunrab you ever saw but he's a walking sprinkler system. Everything in range gets hosed down. So far he hasn't hit me but I don't want him to get any ideas.
My grandpa used to say,"The more they spray the better they breed".

rabbitgeek

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Aggressive behavior like that should not be tolerated.

I wanted to address statements that made it sound like you have to wait a year to breed a buck.

I routinely bred bucks starting at 6 or 7 months. I have a friend who oftens breeds bucks at 5 1/2 months when pushing a bloodline through generations.

She's trying to get a new variety recognized (Blue Rhinelanders) and she needs the generations to turn over so she can see how well the markings are coming along.

The only problem is that young bucks can be intimidated by older, larger does. So I have to be present to intervene if the doe tries to mount the buck (dominance behavior).

Have a good day!
Franco Rios