Rabbit Barn design

Larsen Poultry Ranch

Herd Master
Reaction score
Hi all, I am planning to build a rabbit barn to house my rabbits and I'm hoping you can provide some tips or information to help make it work. Right now I have 2 bucks, 11 does, and 2 litters. I am using wire cages placed on metal pipes suspended over metal sawhorses. The cage area is covered with a Harbor Freight carport with tarps added to the sides to keep out the weather.

We just moved to a new property and I'd like to build the rabbit barn into the hillside to help keep the rabbits cooler during the summer. I was thinking concrete blocks or poured concrete for the walls. Has anyone done anything like this? Is this a good/bad idea? Should I keep the floor as dirt or make it concrete with drainage channels? I was planning to continue using wire cages but change to have them suspended from the ceiling, so manure could be easily shoveled out.

Alasgun

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Obviously there’s greater cost associated with a cement / block structure but if that’s not a deal breaker i’d go with that. Cement floor too, much easier to keep clean.
i looked at an ”in the hillside“ option when i built our greenhouse and didn’t due to construction timing. This proved a good decision when i noticed how much lower the angle of the sun would have been. Which in our case would have had a negative effect on stuff growing.

Larsen Poultry Ranch

Herd Master
Reaction score
The hill I'm thinking of building into slopes down to the west, so there should be sunshine depending on how many trees we end up taking out. I do want to build a greenhouse, but the rabbit barn would hopefully have less sunshine and warmth than a greenhouse. We don't get into the low 30s much.

Grizzlyhackle

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Obviously there’s greater cost associated with a cement / block structure but if that’s not a deal breaker i’d go with that. Cement floor too, much easier to keep clean.
I'm sure sometime you've walked into a concrete block building and noticed how much cooler it was in the summer. If you can afford that definitely get the cement floor. I'm on dirt with a cheap cloth carport for cover on 4 rabbits. The other 2 are in an old dog pen with 12x12 pavers. So much easier to clean, use a hose to wash down with out making mud. My only downside is using a shovel on the pavers. That scraping noise :barnie.

It should give you better pest control also. Rats and mice won't be able to tunnel and make nests as easy. If I could make a suggestion, you may have already done this. Do a google search and see others set ups. Look up Delaware rabbitry. She's closed down but pictures are still there. That led me to pinterest. Anyway she had a pretty good setup with dropping collection. Some cages hung others were on wood. She had a mess of rabbits. People say rabbits don't stink...the urine gets to me sometimes. Her enclosed barn really had no aroma. I smelled animals but not the ammonia.
Ventilation would be my only hang up on a barn like this. But it should be doable, would be nice and insulated.
I agree you may have a ventilation concern. If the roof is exposed a couple of roof turbines installed would move some air. I've had one 27 years still spinning.