Rabbit behavior question...?

Nao57

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
So I have this really sweet white new zealand young doe.

When I go to her cage to touch her and interact with her she's been sort of nuzzling her head up against my hand. And she's very open in approaching me (probably for food). When I got her, the lady said she was the most friendly to people. And she is.

Or she was...?

I think she still is...

But lately when I go to feed her, she's started nipping at the gloves I'm wearing.

I'm not sure what to make of this since I'm new to rabbits.

Have some of you encountered this?

I have mostly worn gloves whenever I'm out there, mostly because I'd heard stories that when you'd been doing rabbits for awhile, if nothing else their nails/claws can scar your arms up pretty good over time.

But if I hadn't been in the practice of wearing gloves, would I have been getting bit every time? What do you make of this from your experiences?

I'm kind of worried about what would happen if I'd not had gloves. And I hope for advise on this.

I kind of don't want to get bit. So I'll keep wearing gloves. And I hope she's still a good doe and that she retains her friendliness. (She still is always at the front of the cage when I go there, pushing up against the cage towards me.)

Nao57

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
How old?
When they reach maturity, they can get witchy.
They'll also be aggressive if the only time you interact with them is to breed them.

Does it mean she's always going to be trying to eat my hand? And does it mean not using gloves isn't safe now?

I feel confused by this.

She is about 4 1/2 months I think.

So what do you recommend as a solution?

Thanks.

Niele da Kine

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
At 4 and a half months old, she's still very young.

You and the rabbit are still learning how to interact with each other. Feeding and petting is good, although the gloves are kinda weird. She may not like the smell of them, depending on what type of gloves they are.

You won't get scratched until you try and pck up the bunny so don't worry about scratches while you're petting her in the hutch. As for biting, bunnies like to taste and nip things so it could just be tasting instead of actual biting. If the bunny does bite, a solid yet somewhat gentle rap on the nose will let the bunny know that nipping the human is bad.

A long sleeved shirt can help with scratched arms, also keeping the toenails clipped so they aren't as sharp. They're still pretty sharp, though. So far all the scratches have from the bunnies here have healed without scars, but YMMV.