Rabbit breeding successfully

Roseatebunny

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Hi,

I had a bad breeding year.
I want to be prepared for everything.

My parents won't let me get a nest box (they say they did it without for year), so I'm already at a disadvantage.

They'll be born this June 12 and some July 5.

It will be warm but what if they get out? Can I put them back with my bare hands?

Last edited:

Larsen Poultry Ranch

Herd Master
Reaction score
When you say your parents won't let you get a nest box, does that mean they won't buy one for you? Or that they would remove it if you acquired one yourself? A cardboard box can be used as a single use nest box. The doe and kits will chew on it but that won't harm them.

If it's going to be quite warm when the kits get here, make sure you check on the kits often and give them room to spread out, they can get overheated easily. Or take the whole nest box into the house out of the heat for a good portion of the day and put it back in the evening. The doe usually only feeds 2x per day. Once the kits are getting close to 3 weeks, they will start jumping in and out if the nest box by themselves and will be better able to regulate their own temperature.

Roseatebunny

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
When you say your parents won't let you get a nest box, does that mean they won't buy one for you? Or that they would remove it if you acquired one yourself? A cardboard box can be used as a single use nest box. The doe and kits will chew on it but that won't harm them.

If it's going to be quite warm when the kits get here, make sure you check on the kits often and give them room to spread out, they can get overheated easily. Or take the whole nest box into the house out of the heat for a good portion of the day and put it back in the evening. The doe usually only feeds 2x per day. Once the kits are getting close to 3 weeks, they will start jumping in and out if the nest box by themselves and will be better able to regulate their own temperature.
they would stop me buying it (I don't drive or have a bank account), anything I buy I have to give them the money, for them to get it for me.

The Doe didn't like the cardboard box and destroyed it completely in one night. (She wouldn't even sleep in the bedding area, till it was gone).

the kits will have the whole bedding compartment to stretch out.

My grandad has put a wood thing in front of the door, as a sort of "lip" to stop them getting out.
Picture to show you what I mean.
Ps. Doe can get in and out fine.

Attachments

• IMG_20210525_164403.jpg
    IMG_20210525_164403.jpg
    239 KB · Views: 92

secuono

Herd Master
Reaction score
they would stop me buying it (I don't drive or have a bank account), anything I buy I have to give them the money, for them to get it for me.

The Doe didn't like the cardboard box and destroyed it completely in one night. (She wouldn't even sleep in the bedding area, till it was gone).

the kits will have the whole bedding compartment to stretch out.

My grandad has put a wood thing in front of the door, as a sort of "lip" to stop them getting out.
Picture to show you what I mean.
Ps. Doe can get in and out fine.

I had a similar hutch, might even be the same one. A taller scrape board would help keep kits in. I also opened the solid wood ramp over it and put mesh on it during summer.

Larsen Poultry Ranch

Herd Master
Reaction score
If the bedding area has solid floor, sides, and a roof, it should be fine without an actual box. Just fill it full of bedding material and the doe should make a nice nest for the kits. I should have asked what kind of enclosure the doe was in, I assumed a wire cage as that is what is common in my area.

LilTxFarmer

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Hi,

I had a bad breeding year.
I want to be prepared for everything.

My parents won't let me get a nest box (they say they did it without for year), so I'm already at a disadvantage.

They'll be born this June 12 and some July 5.

It will be warm but what if they get out? Can I put them back with my bare hands?
Yes, you can handle them. Moma dosen't mind a bit, at least none of mine ever did. My 5 baby kits just opened theyre eye's but I've been handling since they were born.