Rabbit Breeds - Your Suggestions?

HomesteaderWife

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
So we're looking into rabbits again, and I want to do more research into the breeds and particularly their temperament.

In the past, we've had New Zealand Whites in the past and did not have the best experience with them, and a mixed Lionhead who was alright but still not the best pal. Our English Angora, Mr. Fluffy, however was like a sweet pet cat or something - extremely friendly and sociable. They were all provided the same environment and care but he was just a big lovebug.

So for those who have raised, or continue to raise rabbits, in your opinion- what is a good breed to simply have as a pet? It wouldn't be for meat/fur.

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
Standard Rex. I've known people who have had them for pets and they acted much like a dog, living in the house, were litter box trained, etc. I've had one and was impressed with the temperament of her and also her beauty.

Fuchsia

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I think you should get Holland Lops. We have two and They are really cute! one isn't as friendly as the other but they both are friendly. This is Cloud
A5192A22-CA2D-4825-A6B2-69AF7BC74DE3.jpeg
9075DDD5-F4CA-45AF-80E5-91C41C75A541.jpeg

Niele da Kine

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I've met some nice Rexes. Very chill and laid back buns, not bouncing off the walls like some of the other 'pet' breeds. But, this was at a rabbit show, so it wasn't when the buns were in their normal environment.

MiniGoatsRule

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
So we're looking into rabbits again, and I want to do more research into the breeds and particularly their temperament.

In the past, we've had New Zealand Whites in the past and did not have the best experience with them, and a mixed Lionhead who was alright but still not the best pal. Our English Angora, Mr. Fluffy, however was like a sweet pet cat or something - extremely friendly and sociable. They were all provided the same environment and care but he was just a big lovebug.

So for those who have raised, or continue to raise rabbits, in your opinion- what is a good breed to simply have as a pet? It wouldn't be for meat/fur.

Go to your shelter and find a little rescue. That's what I'm doing! Plus, rabbits are the third most abandoned and euthanized animals in shelters around the entire planet.

Rabbit breeds hardly affect their mentality/personality at all.

For example, Holland Lops are supposed to be sweet, social lovebugs, but my pet lop, Jumping Jack, is a snooty, spoiled, antisocial...

Well, I can't say that word...

But I still love her.

Also, make sure you get them spayed/neutered! Rabbits are at a HUGE risk for reproductive cancer. Plus it reduces destructive behavior and makes them more social!

Feel free to contact me through BYH for ANY rabbit info you'd like.

Latest posts