Rabbit enclosure is infested with big rats

Grizzlyhackle

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I would rather take the chance of a poisoned predator than the diseases that the rats carry. We poison the ones I can't catch and I do not lose a seconds sleep over it. I have had success with live traps for rats.... use a larger size, like for a raccoon... and different companies make them with different size wire so they are pretty tight.... opening only on one end. Then shoot them in the trap and get rid of them. Watch out for fleas and such off the rats.... even though we do not have bubonic plague, they carry many other diseases.... and fleas are common...
Raccoon size live trap is good to have around. Feral cats, possum, squirrels one size fits all. You want to test the trip plate. Set the trap and tap it with a stick. If it doesn't go off with light pressure you have to file the hook. Sometimes the end where it was cut will have burrs just big enough that it will hold it from tripping and the cat goes in and the cat goes out.

CLSranch

Herd Master
Reaction score
As far as not poisoning because your worried about predators. If they're eating rats they can eat your bunnies. Rats are much fiercer than a rabbit. And I've watched my dogs kill eat mice then I set out poison and they find one dyeing or dead and they just nose it a little, they can tell not to eat it.

CLSranch

Herd Master
Reaction score
A bigger trap that works like a rat trap. It's called a body gripper will kill the neighbors cat or little dog, so you can NOT use if neighbors are close, or you have barn cats running around. You can put them over the holes or set up around your new set up for them to walk thru while looking for a new point of entry.
I've caught many a coon with a foot trap not covered just thrown out along the wall of my coop or tractor. They walk in looking for a way in.

Larsen Poultry Ranch

Herd Master
Reaction score
There's a rat poison that works by dehydrating the rat. The chemical in it tells the rat it's not thirsty, so it stops drinking. Then when it dies it does not effect any predators which may eat the body. I believe it's called RatX. Might look into that if the traps aren't effective.

Edit: it is called RatX, available in stores or online
Screenshot_20210318-095441.png
Screenshot_20210318-095257.png

Last edited:

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
Just one bite is amazing. I used it to kill giant rats when we lived in the Detroit area. It does it's thing fast, less suffering, then you can clean them up fast too. Mine never made it back to their holes. I had cat sized rats dead in the yard in hours, if that appeals for you. Easy cleanup.
You do need to be very careful with it around pets and children of course.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Just one bite is amazing. I used it to kill giant rats when we lived in the Detroit area. It does it's thing fast, less suffering, then you can clean them up fast too. Mine never made it back to their holes. I had cat sized rats dead in the yard in hours, if that appeals for you. Easy cleanup.
You do need to be very careful with it around pets and children of course.
What a wonderful rat story! DEAD! DEAD RATS! :yesss::yesss::yesss:

Larsen Poultry Ranch

Herd Master
Reaction score
Have you tried that product? Any success? I tried it and discovered it had zero effect. Meaning it didn't work for a hill of beans. At least for me, it didn't work at all.
I bought it, but was already using Tomcat snap traps and then we removed the food source so the rats left. Or were possibly moved with the food source... It was a shipping container I had cages set up in to store my quail. The rats were after the feed. Still haven't tried it but I have it in case we get rats again.

The Tomcat snap traps work great, but I highly advise they get anchored to something, preferably with a wire instead of string/rope. I have had rats get their leg or tail in the trap, and take off running with the trap. I also had two traps completely disappear, although I think a scavenging possum might have helped. I had the traps anchored (after the previous set disappeared) and heard some drag/banging sounds. Looked outside with the flashlight and a possum is trying to carry off a rat I didn't know got trapped. He scurried off when I went outside and dumped the rat, but came back and got his snack to go. Made the cleanup easy. :D