Rabbit escaping hutch

Prinnie74

Just born
Reaction score
Hi

I've recently noticed over time that either one of my rabbits or both of them are gnawing away at their hutch when put to bed of a night. This is what I see as normal as I know they need to gnaw to help keep their teeth trim.

Of late I have noticed a small hole that has been gnawed within the bedroom area of the hutch and it's getting bigger. The hutch is within the shed with a snug cover over it so I'm glad I moved them before the chills started to come in.

This morning I find my female running around the shed as she has managed to get herself out the hutch via the " hole" she has made.

Has anyone experienced this behaviour before. I've had many rabbits in the past and never seen gnawing to this extent.

They both have free run of the garden for most of the day where they have a run to go into for safety which also has a mini wooden house shelter, which can be chewed so I'm unsure if she's stressed being in there (it's definitely her doing the chewing) or something else?!!

Will try upload a photo of her handy work.

Prinnie74

Just born
Reaction score
image.jpg

Hens and Roos

Herd Master
Reaction score
wow, are you able to check her teeth and make sure they are okay, not to long?

How big is the hutch she's in? Is there any way you can make it chew proof and give them a small wood block to chew on.

Good Luck

Prinnie74

Just born
Reaction score
The hutch is big enough for them both even tho I still want bigger, going to get a double one (upstairs/downstairs) but I've hesitated at minute with this gnawing. They have a hanging wooden heart thing that she's not entertained that's in the hutch, I even have cardboard box and toilet roll cartons for them to play and chew on. Think they, especially her, has loved to gnaw for a long time as my 2 yr old scooter wheels have seemed to have struck, my husbands hose pipe needs replacing aswell as other items. Her teeth are absolutely fine aswell. Just can't understand the extent of it all!!