1. BYH Official Poll: What are the things that you should consider before buying herds?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  2. Rate this sheep's condition - Featured Thread
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. BYH Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Rabbit Hay Questions

Discussion in 'Feeding Time - Rabbits' started by BunnyTree, Jun 12, 2019 at 10:30 AM.

1. Jun 12, 2019 at 10:30 AM
    BunnyTree

BunnyTree Overrun with beasties

I have been having a hard time finding good quality rabbit hay around here that isn't crazy expensive. The only Timothy hay I can find is at tractor supply and seems really expensive for only a small amount. I did recently come across an ad for an Alfalfa/Orchard grass mix, But, I feel like there is so much controversy about Alfalfa hay, some people say that it's totally fine to feed to your rabbits and they give it to their rabbits all the time and other people say "Never give your rabbit Alfalfa!!" Would the Alfalfa/Orchard grass mix be good for my rabbits, or should I stay away from Alfalfa? Thanks!

SA Farm and AmberLops like this.
  2. Jun 12, 2019 at 2:56 PM
    AmberLops

AmberLops Loving the herd life

To be honest...I wouldn't feed my rabbits alfalfa hay. The feed I give them already has alfalfa in it...
    And alfalfa is really high in vitamin A and that can be really dangerous to OD on.
    Stick with Orchard or Timothy just to be on the safe side ;)

B&B Happy goats and SA Farm like this.