Rabbit Hay Questions

BunnyTree

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I have been having a hard time finding good quality rabbit hay around here that isn't crazy expensive. The only Timothy hay I can find is at tractor supply and seems really expensive for only a small amount. I did recently come across an ad for an Alfalfa/Orchard grass mix, But, I feel like there is so much controversy about Alfalfa hay, some people say that it's totally fine to feed to your rabbits and they give it to their rabbits all the time and other people say "Never give your rabbit Alfalfa!!" Would the Alfalfa/Orchard grass mix be good for my rabbits, or should I stay away from Alfalfa? Thanks!

AmberLops

Herd Master
Reaction score
To be honest...I wouldn't feed my rabbits alfalfa hay. The feed I give them already has alfalfa in it...
And alfalfa is really high in vitamin A and that can be really dangerous to OD on.
Stick with Orchard or Timothy just to be on the safe side ;)

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
Personally, unless you can get the hay very cheap you are better off feeding pellets. They are designed with all the necessary protein, fat, and mineral levels necessary. Hay wastes a lot because they pull it out of the feeders and then pee on it. Rabbits will not eat any feed that has been peed on. Pellets are healthier, easier and cheaper to feed than hay. Unless you know the exact nutritional components of the hay you are feeding, you can't be sure that you are feeding the necessary nutrients. This is particularly important if you are raising litters.

Kotori

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I was always told that hay should be offered 24/7, but more as a supplement than the sole feed, as in pellets should be offered as well. If the hay is being marketed as alfalfa mix, ask how much alfalfa is in it. It can often be as low as 10%, which would be acceptable IMO. What about grain hays? they're not particularly common, at least where i am, but I've heard rye makes good hay at least for horses and cattle.

rockyhillrabbits

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
You can feed your rabbits hay for horses or cows. It can be bermuda hay or mixed. I buy bags of timothy hay at Wal-Mart and I also buy square bales of hay from Orschelns. It's mostly bermuda. But I have also just fed pellets and they did just as fine.