Rabbit Housing Poll

How does everyone house their rabbits?

• Total voters

firedragon1982

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I've got all wire 3 tier cages with litter pans underneath. My mom and brother raised red satins in the 80s for show, meat, sale. They used all wire, 2 tier with roofing panels between top and bottom tier. I was about 6 when they sold out of it because my grandparents wanted us to move in and care for them, but refused to allow more than 2 rabbits for pets because of their "smell". Even my 2 pets growing up were in wire cages.

One of my husband's friends tried rabbits in the last few years and quickly gave it up because of the millions of flies they had caused. They had a mostly wood hutch type of set up that was hard to keep clean. I never got to see it, just heard of the outcome. Nothing other than they didn't like it.

DutchBunny03

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Rabbits don't cause flies if you manage the waste right. I haven't seen more than ten flies all summer. The wood does get damp, and attract flies. Rabbits don't smell too bad, compare t chickens or ducks. But if you forget to clean out the cage for a while, it is HORRIBLE.

samssimonsays

Milo & Me Hoppy Tail Acres
Reaction score
somewhere in the Northern region of Minnesota
Wood is usually not recommended due to you can't clean it fully. It absorbs all the ickies. I made sure to keep trays under for the urine and poop with a wire bottom and then the litter pan in the main run as well as the plastic bin in the wooden sets box for my climates in the winter we reach below -40 degree days and I needed something to help insulate those guys. In summer the same best box helped keep them cool.

firedragon1982

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Rabbits don't cause flies if you manage the waste right. I haven't seen more than ten flies all summer. The wood does get damp, and attract flies. Rabbits don't smell too bad, compare t chickens or ducks. But if you forget to clean out the cage for a while, it is HORRIBLE.

I had 42 rabbits in my barn and had very minimal flies. And with the right litter for inside ones, no stink at all.

I know that rabbits don't stink if you manage it right. Heck, my chickens and ducks caused more flies this summer than my rabbits. My grandparents were a special type of controlling and seriously disliked my mother, so anything she loved doing was pretty much banned when we lived with them. They were always about being "proper" and everything was always about looking like they were rich even if they weren't. They barely allowed her to have a vegetable garden. Special type of horrible. She was a farmer's daughter, so therefore not a proper lady in their eyes. And as I said, the friends that gave it up, I never got to lay eyes on the set up with the hutches, only got to hear about it, so can't vouch for the "millions" of flies they claimed (emphatically too when I saw them). They were amazed when I said our 5 rabbits only caused a handful of flies in the garage all summer when they didn't have success with just 2.