Rabbit Hutch question

Nao57

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
So I wondered if overall the temperature inside the rabbit hutch stays cooler on the ground compared to elevated above ground?

I know most people that elevate are trying to just be space efficient. So we probably couldn't change this anyway since we want for things to work where we have enough space for animals. And if you had extra space you could have more animals. And you do need a space to store hay and feed etc.

So I'm not being critical of anyone.

It would seem like in dry climates like mine in the summer that temperature can be pretty brutal outside. So this is why I wondered about hutch temperatures elevated, versus being on the ground.

Thanks.

Niele da Kine

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
It all depends on your area. We elevate ours so everything falls through and makes clean up easier. Plus a double layer takes up less space. There's some diseases they can spread if they're on the ground, I think. It's also easier to work with them when they're up off the ground, too.

But, cold air falls and hot air rises, so it should be coldest near the ground.

In hot summers, having them in a shaded area with ventilation may keep them cooler? A white roof to reflect the heat may help, too.

Nao57

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Do you guys also sometimes let them out into a play area?

Or is doing something like this too much trouble to catch them again?

What do you think about this and how would someone make it work?

Niele da Kine

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
We have a corral which is a puppy play fencing sorta thing. Refrigrator racks zip tied together would do the same thing if you have access to a lot of refrigerator racks. Anything a couple of feet tall is enough to keep our rabbits in since they're English angora and not known for their athletic abilities. When we want to gather them back up to put back into their hutches, it's easy enough to move the fence segments over to make a smaller space so we can reach them to pick them up.