Rabbit kit bottle feeding?

Nao57

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
So I wanted to ask, when you have to bottle feed kits, can it be normal goat milk? or does it have to be a formula (from goats)?

I was watching a Youtube video about this and the person quoted each and so I wanted to clarify. I don't ...approve of how expensive formula is. So if possible I'd like to just do normal goat milk.

To be fair also, I don't have any kits yet, but I'd tried to breed two rabbits about two weeks ago. I'm educating myself now in the hopes of things working out the way I hoped, but expecting hiccups because that's life.

promiseacres

Herd Master
Reaction score
I think straight goat milk would be ok... but we've never had great luck bottle feeding bunnies.

Nao57

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I think straight goat milk would be ok... but we've never had great luck bottle feeding bunnies.
Was there a particular thing that is the culprit to this?

Thank you.

Ella carpenter

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I have 6 babies that I've been feeding for 2 weeks their doing great! I use canned goats milk with heavy whipping cream. Its a 4:1 ratio 4 parts milk 1 part heavy whipping cream. Depending on the age I feed mine 6 ccs 2 Times a day ,but they just got switched to that they were eating 3 times daily.

Nao57

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I have 6 babies that I've been feeding for 2 weeks their doing great! I use canned goats milk with heavy whipping cream. Its a 4:1 ratio 4 parts milk 1 part heavy whipping cream. Depending on the age I feed mine 6 ccs 2 Times a day ,but they just got switched to that they were eating 3 times daily.
Wow...

I never would have suspected whipping cream!

But if it works, who am I to complain?

I kind of like the idea of whipping cream in milk. Maybe the rabbits are smarter than I thought.

Ella carpenter

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
The reason for putting whipping cream is that rabbits have the richest milk out of all mammals. So the whipping cream adds calories.

Ella carpenter

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I want to add i meant heavy whipping cream its the kind in the milk carton.

Nao57

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
The reason for putting whipping cream is that rabbits have the richest milk out of all mammals. So the whipping cream adds calories.

That's smart. I like it.

Niele da Kine

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I use a recipe which uses cow's milk (I don't have access to goat milk) with added ingredients, most of which can be found in a kitchen. Here's a link to the recipe: http://hillsidefarmhawaii.com/blog/2018/20180801.html

The 'official' recipe is:
2 cups of 2% milk
2 egg yolks
2 Tbsp powdered milk
2 Tbsp. corn syrup
1 tsp. bone meal

However, what I use is:
1 cup of 2% milk
1 egg yolk
1 Tbsp powdered milk
1 Tbsp. blackstrap molasses
1/2 tsp. bone meal

Also an eye dropper seems to be more effective at feeding baby bunnies than a syringe, I've not tried a small baby bottle. It's really important not to get the milk up their nose.

I find this recipe easy enough since all the ingredients are at hand. I have the bone meal for the garden, the rest is kitchen stuff.

messybun

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I’ve done a ton of wildlife rehab, and with both wild rabbits and domestic ones I’ve had great success. I would say to never use cow milk because of the lactose, and other animal by-products will usually kill the animal because they aren’t made to digest it. Part of why rabbits are hard to bottle raise is because of their specific bacterial needs. A huge part of being successful is grabbing ceco pellets from a healthy adult rabbit and feeding it to the babies like they would naturally have in a nest.
For me, I don’t feed like mom. I feed every few hours and cluster feed (closer feedings) near bedtime so I can get some sleep. I also prefer droppers to syringes with nipples for brand new babies. Bottles have never worked for me. I do have fox valley formula on hand for squirrels or whatever, one bag will last years if I don’t have a lot of animals. But for rabbits I’ve always had better luck with canned or powdered goat milk. I have never tried fresh because it was too expensive and hard to find. Canned works well, but one litter of rabbits will only need to drink 1-2 cans volume until weaning; but it spoils after 3 days(which means I need a bunch of cans and huge wastes) so I switched to powder and have very little to no waste. Also, add probiotics with the milk, I just use livestock probiotics, but some people like yogurt better. Apparently strawberry is the favorite. Oh, and have a way to keep them warm, a cold rabbit won’t digest. And always piddle before or after feeding because they can’t do it themselves for the first little while of life. Good luck!

Last edited:

Latest posts