Rabbit Kit Dead, any ideas?

JT17

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I have 6 kits that are 4.5 weeks old. Theyve all been growing well and have not been sick or anything. I have been blessed with no sicknesses of any sort in my rabbitry yet. Yesterday, I went out and one of the babies was dead by the door of the cage. There were no bite marks or anything to show that it had been attacked. The only indication of anything was under its belly there was like this weird looking creamy substance that was the color of yellow Carmel. Just a small about like maybe a quarter to half a teaspoon. No wound or anything so Im not sure what it would be. Any ideas? Just for info, the kits are all still with the mother and this one that died was the runt. Not weak or sickly, just barely smaller than the others since birth.

blu_bun

Herd lurker
Reaction score
Probably weaning enteritis. Possibly cocci? I would open up the kit and check the liver just in case (if your are okay with that).

JT17

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
No, Im not against it...but I didnt think about it. Already disposed of the body...

blu_bun

Herd lurker
Reaction score
Ok then. I'd make sure the babies get only hay and milk pull pellets from them. Feed mama separate or high enough for them to not reach.
No, Im not against it...but I didnt think about it. Already disposed of the body...

promiseacres

Herd Master
Reaction score
Cocci or perhaps something congenital. I wouldn't change their diet unless you see signs of illness in them.