TaylorBug

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I've done a little research and I know from experience that rabbit manure makes an excellent fertilizer- and can be spread fresh since it's not "hot". We spread it on our little 1/4 acre corn garden this summer and had EXCELLENT results with our crop. Since I raise rabbits and I'm expanding my operation, I might as well make something out of my manure since it's not really doing anything for me right now. Does anyone have any tips for composting? I'll definitely mix in organic food matters and maybe horse manure- that also is a good fertilizer (again, I know from experience) but it must be composted or it will burn plants.
Thanks!
Taylor

Duckfarmerpa1

Herd Master
Reaction score
Do you already do a compost from your kitchen scraps? We made one out of pallets. It turned out pretty rustic, I like it. We turn ours over quite a bit, because it breaks down very very fast. Seems the more you put in, the less there is. Perhaps we haven’t gotten the hang of it because now we give most of 5he scraps to animals. We have started dumping our manure piles next to the garden now...since it’s getting too hot. Then it’ll need time to rest before it can’t be mixed.

YourRabbitGirl

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I've done a little research and I know from experience that rabbit manure makes an excellent fertilizer- and can be spread fresh since it's not "hot". We spread it on our little 1/4 acre corn garden this summer and had EXCELLENT results with our crop. Since I raise rabbits and I'm expanding my operation, I might as well make something out of my manure since it's not really doing anything for me right now. Does anyone have any tips for composting? I'll definitely mix in organic food matters and maybe horse manure- that also is a good fertilizer (again, I know from experience) but it must be composted or it will burn plants.
Thanks!
Taylor
Most aminal manure is great fertilizers... I can imagine rabbits are much convenient since most of the time it is dry round and firm. very manageable and easy to distribute... I agree.. keep up the good work..

TaylorBug

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Do you already do a compost from your kitchen scraps? We made one out of pallets. It turned out pretty rustic, I like it. We turn ours over quite a bit, because it breaks down very very fast. Seems the more you put in, the less there is. Perhaps we haven’t gotten the hang of it because now we give most of 5he scraps to animals. We have started dumping our manure piles next to the garden now...since it’s getting too hot. Then it’ll need time to rest before it can’t be mixed.
No, we never have really done compost. I'm still working out the kinks on where to dump everything and how to manage it.

Duckfarmerpa1

Herd Master
Reaction score
No, we never have really done compost. I'm still working out the kinks on where to dump everything and how to manage it.
We put our compost bin on the counter... very convenient... then we built the big bin outside right next to the garden. So we can just toss some in or out as needed

TaylorBug

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
We put our compost bin on the counter... very convenient... then we built the big bin outside right next to the garden. So we can just toss some in or out as needed
My mamaw kept a compost pile for a long time so I figured I would do something like that. She kept old ice cream pails and filled them with scraps to dump on her compost pile.

YourRabbitGirl

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
We have the same, we use pallets for that as well. I really like how it looks. and the way it works... I really love how pallets work.. :D:D:D

TaylorBug

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Another question- does a composting mixture need to be sheltered or can it be out in the open? I'm worried about it when it rains (or worse, snows...).

YourRabbitGirl

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
We have a lot of pallets here, I've already created a lot of things from the abundance of it. That I another excellent Idea. We will create one soon.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Are your rabbits in hutches or hanging wire cages? In a barn or in the open? Reason I ask is because chickens can do a great job of composting for you. They will eat dropped Feed, fly larva, scratch and keep it turned. Dig it out as needed and put on the garden.

If in a barn, you can add on a chicken coop. If in outdoor hutches, run a fence around them and connect to the coop.