Rabbit missing from hutch

stonygarden

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Hi there everyone. This is my first post here but I've been lurking for a long while.

I had 2 Californian rabbits in one hutch (building more hutches soon). This morning I went outside to check on the rabbits and chickens like I always do and my hutch door was wide open. One of my rabbits was gone. No sign of any animal attack. No blood, no fur, no body parts. I guess it is possible that the rabbit just took off BUT I have no idea how the hutch door got open. It has the typical latch (barrel latch I think its called).

The only predator I know that can open a latch like that walks on 2 legs.

Thoughts?

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
:welcome

Shame about your missing rabbit. Maybe it'll show up when it gets tired of exploring.

Hardy&Healthy

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Could it have perhaps been a raccoon who opened the latch? ...Trying for the rabbit or rabbit's food? I know they will go after chickens. I'm not sure if they eat rabbit...? We use to have raccoon get into the feed room. We tried multiply types of snaps trying to keep them at bay, but they are smart and very good with their hands/paws.

Or, do you have children or any neighbor kids? ("Awww, cute Mr. Bunbuns!")

Or, dare I say it, could someone not have gotten the latch done properly?

Best of luck figuring it out, for your other rabbit's sake!

stonygarden

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
The bunny was in the yard this morning. I managed to catch her fairly easily and she is now back in the hutch. The feeder is right in front of the door on the side and I've seen the bunnies trying to flip it and can hear it hitting the door. I think maybe they just worked the latch open?? It might be operator error as well but I'm pretty paranoid about my bun buns and chickens.

Thanks for the nice welcome everyone.

Hardy&Healthy

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
*Mrs. Bunbuns made it home safe n' sound... YIPPY!!!

Just for my own knowledge... Does raccoon go for rabbits? Yes, no, maybe, sometimes?

purplequeenvt

Herd Master
Reaction score
Hardy&Healthy said:
*Mrs. Bunbuns made it home safe n' sound... YIPPY!!!

Just for my own knowledge... Does raccoon go for rabbits? Yes, no, maybe, sometimes?
Yes, raccoons WILL kill rabbits.

Latest posts