Rabbit Pellet issues, Why are they so relient on the pellets?

bluemini

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Hm im not sure ,I know one time this happened to me and the rabbit died but someone else was watching them for a weekend so im not usre what happened . :/

Sorry about your loss though,I am almost out of feed and ran out of hay last week :( going to get more tomarrow but I hate when I run out .

oneacrefarm

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I would suspect worms as well. There are a lot of folks that don't feed pellets at all, so it is not just the loss of pellets. What kind of hay are you feeding and what kind of greens and how much? Are you sure the hay is not moldy? Raw pumpkin seeds are good to deworm, as someone said. You can get Ivermectin paste or the injectable kind. The dosage is .08cc per lb for the injectable, but DO NOT give this to Dutch rabbits. They are very sensitive to Ivermectin.

Shannon

KariBunny

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Check your water system. If using the nipple/bottle style waterers, check that they are functioning properly...sometimes they can malfunction and the rabbits won't be getting enough water. Rabbits generally won't eat if they can't drink and will die of both dehydration and starvation~it doesn't take long for a rabbit to die in this manner, especially the smaller breeds.

As for the feed, I check the general condition of my rabbits and limit feed accordingly. Too fat does will not reproduce well, so free choice is sometimes not the best situation for them.

As for deworming, the pumpkin seeds work well as does charred wood. The rabbits would probably love the charred wood as they love to gnaw on wood anyway. Just remove it when the charred areas are gone so they won't be consuming just the wood.

Do you have minerals in your cages? This is helpful for proper nutrition and can help keep your rabbits in top shape. Unpastuerized apple cider vinegar provides probiotics and enzymes that help your rabbits better absorb nutrients and better utilize the feed they are given(can keep them fatter on less feed)....a little in the water can benefit your animals greatly.

How Many pumpkin seeds do you suggets for a mini rex (5months old), holland lop 4 yrs old and a type belgian mix 6months old? how many days? and when do i repeat it again? :)

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
How Many pumpkin seeds do you suggets for a mini rex (5months old), holland lop 4 yrs old and a type belgian mix 6months old? how many days? and when do i repeat it again? :)

I don't know that there is a dosage regimen for pumpkin seeds out there! :D I'd just give them a handful each for 2-3 days and then repeat that in a couple of weeks. Can't hurt and can only help. ;)