1. BYH Official Poll: What are the things that you should consider before buying herds?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  2. Ear Tags - Featured Thread
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. BYH Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Rabbit Processors NC

Discussion in 'Meat Rabbits' started by Brett Jones, Jan 14, 2019.

1. Jan 14, 2019
    Brett Jones

Brett Jones Just born

Hey I'm Brett from NC. I'm looking into breeding rabbits for meat and was curious if anyone knew of processors in NC? If self processing is better, what all is required to sell meat?

2. Jan 14, 2019
    Latestarter

Latestarter Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry Golden Herd Member

Greetings and welcome to BYH Brett, from NE TX! So glad you joined us. I think by the time you paid for processing, there'd be no profit. Don't know that for certain. To sell the meat, the processor would most likely have to be USDA certified. Not sure if there's ways around it legally. You might contact some local butcher shops or meat processors and ask them. There's a wealth of info, knowledge and experience shared in the multitude of threads. Browse around and see what interesting stuff you can find. You'll get to "meet" folks at the same time. By all means post away when the desire strikes you, especially if you have questions (provide as much detail/info as possible and pictures truly help)... With all the great folks here, generally someone will respond in no time at all. Oh, and we all love pics, so post them anytime you feel the need! Please make yourself at home!

3. Jan 14, 2019
    Southern by choice

Southern by choice Herd Master

Chaudreys use to, I don't think they do anymore though. Most rabbit breeders just process their own (that I know of anyway).
    They are in Chatham county. Not sure the region you are in.

4. Jan 15, 2019
    Brett Jones

Brett Jones Just born

Thank you I'm in robeson county. You have to be FDA approved to sell your own processed meat right?

5. Jan 15, 2019
    Southern by choice

Southern by choice Herd Master

6. Jan 20, 2019
    Suburban Rabbits

Suburban Rabbits Chillin' with the herd

I have seen adds on Craigslist of rabbit breeders selling their meat as "Pet food".
    It looks very well packaged and labelled.
    From there, the person who buy the meat can do what ever they want with it. Nobody stops you from eating dry dog bones, right?
    I think it is just a loophole. At your own risk.
    Has anyone seen that before?

7. Mar 14, 2019
    Suzy74

Suzy74 Chillin' with the herd

Hi Brett,
    I'm also in North Carolina and yes you do need to have rabbits processed at an FDA facility to sell to the public. The only one I know of is Brittany Ridge Farms near Kinston. They changed the laws recently and not many people are providing that service anymore. Good luck!