Rabbit slip up?

Duckfarmerpa1

Herd Master
Reaction score
Hi! I’m new to this forum but not new to breeding rabbits. Currently I have a doe..six months and a buck, four mths living together. They are from different litters, different fathers, etc. In the summer I like to keep my youngsters in rabbit tractors until they get older and need separating. Unfortunately I had a bad outbreak of GI Stasis and lost there litermates. So these two are bonded and when we moved to the barn I didn’t want to separate them...as, we all know..stress can cause problems! So, because the buck is immature I figured, no worries. Truthfully, I wouldn’t care if we did have a winter liter. I have plenty of room, and I love this! So, anyways, my doe started pulling fur two weeks ago! No nesting box but they do have a bunny box. It’s a large box..about 11/2’x28 deep with 1’ high for the jumping on. Anyway they have a 4‘ cage x 18” deep. We specifically made some large, so I could have liters..or, they can be sectioned for individual rabbits..each to get 18”x 24”. There’s enough room for at least 32 rabbits, or more, depending. Anyways....so, she started pulling fur, and creating a nest in this box. I took out my buck, in case she delivered. It abruptly stopped. They missed each other and stopped eating as much. So, I put them back...what a reunion! Anyways..today, she started with the hay!

So, first question...do I disrupt her bunny box to give her a proper nesting box, or will this do? Next, could she just be hormonally confused due to the buck being with her? Could it be false pregnancy...but, clearly, not..twice in a week?! Could he have matured early? He’s small! His testies are small... Since I don’t care if she does have a liter, would you keep them together, as to not stress them? But...what about the possibility that a buck could eat the kits? Clearly, this is the first time I’ve had a buck and together at this nesting phase...lol..ugh. As I said, it wasn’t planned. I hate to separate them, and then lose one of them due to the stress.
81A81AA3-2752-48E5-9BFC-FFFBE0106454.jpeg
4B2DF199-6E35-4847-A9C6-F6EBE6C4E248.jpeg
BAAF854D-E18E-4D7F-A6BD-6C1F86B83D52.jpeg

Xerocles

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Anyway they have a 4‘ cage x 18” deep. We specifically made some large, so I could have liters..or, they can be sectioned for individual rabbits.
Ooh, ooh. Can even newby me jump in on this one? From the quote above, why don't you just section them in the same cage? They're still together....just not "together". I did something similar in my growout cages, three sections with a door between each, open most of the time, but can be closed off if needed.

Duckfarmerpa1

Herd Master
Reaction score
Separate the buck may kill kits. Can you put in cages next 5o each other?
Totally..just will upset my lead buck..but, he’ll get over it. I just CANT believe he could reproduce at almost 4 months! Anyone else have them go that young?

Duckfarmerpa1

Herd Master
Reaction score
Ooh, ooh. Can even newby me jump in on this one? From the quote above, why don't you just section them in the same cage? They're still together....just not "together". I did something similar in my growout cages, three sections with a door between each, open most of the time, but can be closed off if needed.
Yeah, going to put them beside each other..just didn’t think he was old enough...lol..he’s a go getter!

AlleysChicks

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Split them up by have them in a side by side cage where they can see and "talk".

I lost a doe recently. I split her and her bff up and she got depressed. I tried another small doe with her and she attacked her. So I bred her thinking babies would help. They did! For a short time until it was time for them to go. Then she got really down. Stopped eating and basically died of a broken heart.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Take her out, put her on that "table" that you don't have yet LOL LOL. Palpate her, if she is building a nest and is pregnant, you should be able to gently move your fingers on her belly and feel any babies.

Duckfarmerpa1

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yeah, going to put them beside each other..just didn’t think he was old enough...lol..he’s a go getter!
One more quick question... I don’t typically disturb the nesting box, because once they start their thing...I’m afraid they’ll abandon it, whatever. Since it’s much larger, and not cut to typica dimensions..should I swap it out, or leave it be..because , they probably only need some sort of box to ke the kits safe and
Split them up by have them in a side by side cage where they can see and "talk".

I lost a doe recently. I split her and her bff up and she got depressed. I tried another small doe with her and she attacked her. So I bred her thinking babies would help. They did! For a short time until it was time for them to go. Then she got really down. Stopped eating and basically died of a broken heart.
thsts exactly what I don’t want since they both were my only two survivors of GI Stasis from the summ string! :(

Duckfarmerpa1

Herd Master
Reaction score
Take her out, put her on that "table" that you don't have yet LOL LOL. Palpate her, if she is building a nest and is pregnant, you should be able to gently move your fingers on her belly and feel any babies.
I can try it..but I’ve tried to palpate rabbits sooo many times! But..it’s certainly worth another try..nothing to lose!