Rabbit that doesn't "get" toys.

AlaskanShepherdess

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Oreo is fantastic rabbit. A rabbit owners dream, doesn't chew on wires, holds his bladder and most of his droppings for 4 hours, and goes in a litterbox when he has access to one, will sit and cuddle on your lap for HOURS on end, follows me around the house..... He's just plain wonderful. But he doesn't get toys. I give him a ball to play with and he ignores it, stuffed animals the same. He has no interest in doing anything other then cuddling, playing hide and seek with the cats, eating and following me around the house. Is there anything I can do to spark an interest in toys with him? I've seen rabbits playing with balls and stuffed animals and thought it was so cute, and would love to have Oreo do that. :)

therealsilkiechick

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
very few of mine play with toys so i give them the treats that r apple sticks, the carrot looking ones and also the ones w/ boxes with seed stuff in it they can rip apart. there is another one looks like wood not sure what it is made of and inside has alfa hay(all of them r at walmart and some r at tsc). they go crazy with throwing those around and playing. we also take tp rolls, paper towel ones, slim jim containes, potatoe and stuffing boxes ect and stuff with hay and they play and eat those also. maybe try something like those and see if that helps. :)

momofonly

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Maybe Oreo thinks you and your cats are more fun to play with than toys.:)

My rabbit doesn't usually use toys, either. If I put a toy in her hutch, she will usually end up peeing or pooping on it in a few days or less. Maybe she's telling me her opinion of the toys...

Ms. Research

Herd Nerd On A Mission
Reaction score
momofonly said:
Maybe Oreo thinks you and your cats are more fun to play with than toys.:)

My rabbit doesn't usually use toys, either. If I put a toy in her hutch, she will usually end up peeing or pooping on it in a few days or less. Maybe she's telling me her opinion of the toys...
I have two that have no clue, or any interest after constant introduction, on store bought toys. I've done as suggested regarding small paper bags with hay in it, tp rolls with hay which they enjoy. When they are out, one loves to dig near the vent, which he loves the cool air coming out right now, so I bought a straw mat. He loves it. Hasn't dug at that spot other than on that mat. If any more different suggestion, I would definitely appreciate it. I know bunnies get destructive when they are bored. Just trying to keep them out of trouble.

texcalkas

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Of my five rabbits only about half of them will play with the "toys" I put in their cages. I use an assortment of stuff that would normally go in recycling like plastic tubs, cans, packing paper, strawberry boxes (slear plastic with a lid), etc. Right now in the heat they are not playing with anything. Their whole focus just seems to be staying alive. Instead of using frozen bottles to keep them cool, I've been freezing Cool-Whip tub and flipping the block of ice onto their cage floors. They will dig at the ice, toss it, and so forth. I will sometimes pack oatmeal boxes or coffee cans with ends cut out full of hay so they have to pull it out.

M.R. Lops

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I give my bunnies toilet/paper towel rolls to chew on to help their teeth stay filed down, and my bunnies occasionally throw it up in the air and will play with it. Some rabbits aren't too fond of toys though. It just depends on the rabbit's personality.