Rabbit torn hide

Bunnylady

Herd Master
Reaction score
Having gotten a good look at the damage, I think I can reassure you that it looks worse than it is. For the most part, it is very superficial (shallow); kind of like getting a rug burn on your knee. Painful at the time, of course, but it will heal quickly. I'd be willing to bet that most of that will be starting to get fur growing back in within a week.

Great caution should always be taken when using antibiotics on rabbits. A large part of the rabbit's digestion depends on the beneficial bacteria that live in gut; kill them, and the rabbit can develop a fatal case of diarrhea. Unfortunately, antibiotics don't discriminate between "good" and "bad" bacteria. Oral antibiotics are particularly damaging in this way; they should only be administered under the supervision of a Veterinarian that is very knowledgeable when it comes to rabbits. Fortunately, this wound looks pretty clean - no real redness or oozing to indicate infection, so such drastic measures don't appear necessary.

Last edited:

samssimonsays

Milo & Me Hoppy Tail Acres
Reaction score
somewhere in the Northern region of Minnesota
I have used oral antibiotics in the past with a very high success rate when used properly and substituting in Kefir, not yogurt. By high success rate I mean no issues caused by the antibiotic itself.

I do however only usually use vetricine which is a topical spray/gel in most cases, as it is the only thing that I have had 100% success with on all cases. Scratch on or near the eye, safe to use. abcess lance on the chin/jaw, safe. 9 day old baby managed to get into a cage with another doe and that doe left some pretty nasty gashes on it a little bit of those and they healed 2 times quicker than anything I have ever used before. I used it my own scratches from rabbits and what would have left a nasty scar did not. It is something I do not know what I did without all these years.

Smileygirl

Just born
Reaction score
:celebrate:) Thanks for the tip I will look for that product. Checked on her this morning and she looks so much better I can't believe it's only been two days. She is an indoor bunny with clean fresh bedding so there's no flies or bugs that can bother her.
Thank you for all the suggestions and support I'm feeling much better today ! :celebrate