Rabbits- Abbreviations and Definitions

ChickenMomma91

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
'Lop' should be included since newbies won't know what that is. I technically don't even know what it really is, all I know is the doe I had as a kid was a lop eared albino mix breed

Amaggio

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Thank you! This is a great reference guide for someone new to rabbits, like myself.

Niele da Kine

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Well, a tortoiseshell is a 'solid' colored rabbit, although to look at it, it's a blond with a different colored nose. Himilayans and other 'pointed' colors are also 'solids', even though the rabbit looks like it is different colors. Which it is, it's just a 'solid' color pattern. It requires a double recessive on the "A" color gene, an "aa". Which means you can't get the agouti color pattern by breeding two 'solid' colored rabbits together.

Agouti is a color pattern, much more so than a color. It has the white circles around the eyes, nose and in the ears, white under the tail and a white undercarriage as well as the bands of color on each hair shaft.

Also, 'molt' is when the hair comes off the rabbit such as when your dog is shedding. A rabbit can have a poor coat and not be in molt, but generally when they're molting, they look a mess.

Each breed also has it's own terminology. If it's an English angora, the fuzzy on it's face and ears is called 'furnishings'. And, the coat on an angora is called 'wool', I'll have to go back and read the list again to see if that was listed.