1. BYH Official Poll: What are the things that you should consider before buying herds?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  2. Rate this sheep's condition - Featured Thread
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. BYH Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Rabbits as feed for pigs.

Discussion in 'Feeding Time - Pigs' started by Viriditas420, Jun 4, 2019.

1. Jun 4, 2019
    Viriditas420

Viriditas420 Herd lurker

Does anyone have any experience feeding rabbits to pigs. Is it beneficial. If I take the pelts from some fur rabbits, boil the carcasses, and toss them whole into the trough, will they be eager to eat them or just eat them if that's all that is there? Will it improve the meat? Should I grind it and add something to it? Thanks.

2. Jun 5, 2019
    luvmypets

luvmypets Herd Master

If it were for my pigs I wouldn’t do it. I choose not to feed meat as we dont want our hogs getting a taste for it and then deciding to go after our chickens or other animals. With that being said I honestly have no idea if it has benefits so if you do try it I would be interested in the results. Your pigs will probably be eager for some meat as they are omnivores after all. Plus anything new in their pen is subject to being bit a few times.

SA Farm likes this.
  3. Jun 5, 2019
    frustratedearthmother

frustratedearthmother Herd Master

My hogs will eat a dead chicken. (no rabbits here) They have live chickens who share a pen, hut and feed with them and they never kill one on their own. But, I have American Guinea Hogs, which are a very gentle breed.

SA Farm likes this.
  4. Jun 6, 2019
    Baymule

Baymule Herd Master

I don't raise hogs, I just buy feeder pigs and support those who do raise hogs. I like the heritage breeds, which tend to have more "survivor" tendencies. Some have been a little aggressive and gave me the creeps. Never, would I ever, encourage such meat eating behaviors in the pigs I raise up for slaughter.

SA Farm likes this.
  5. Jun 12, 2019 at 7:54 PM
    Ridgetop

Ridgetop True BYH Addict

We had pigs that killed and ate our 2 geese when the got in the pen. I used to throw the dead rabbit kits to the chickens if I found dead ones in the nest boxes. Why do you want to feed the rabbits to your hogs? If you are producing meat rabbits eat the rabbits yourselves. They are tasty. If you decide to feed rabbit carcasses to your hogs, you don't need to cook them. Hogs will eat anything. There was a reason lots of those old time gangsters owned pig farms. . . . :eek:

6. Jun 14, 2019 at 7:54 AM
    AmberLops

AmberLops Loving the herd life

That's a happy thought ha ha! :lol: :ep