Rabbits as feed for pigs.

Viriditas420

Herd lurker
Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience feeding rabbits to pigs. Is it beneficial. If I take the pelts from some fur rabbits, boil the carcasses, and toss them whole into the trough, will they be eager to eat them or just eat them if that's all that is there? Will it improve the meat? Should I grind it and add something to it? Thanks.

luvmypets

Herd Master
Reaction score
If it were for my pigs I wouldn’t do it. I choose not to feed meat as we dont want our hogs getting a taste for it and then deciding to go after our chickens or other animals. With that being said I honestly have no idea if it has benefits so if you do try it I would be interested in the results. Your pigs will probably be eager for some meat as they are omnivores after all. Plus anything new in their pen is subject to being bit a few times.

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
My hogs will eat a dead chicken. (no rabbits here) They have live chickens who share a pen, hut and feed with them and they never kill one on their own. But, I have American Guinea Hogs, which are a very gentle breed.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I don't raise hogs, I just buy feeder pigs and support those who do raise hogs. I like the heritage breeds, which tend to have more "survivor" tendencies. Some have been a little aggressive and gave me the creeps. Never, would I ever, encourage such meat eating behaviors in the pigs I raise up for slaughter.

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
We had pigs that killed and ate our 2 geese when the got in the pen. I used to throw the dead rabbit kits to the chickens if I found dead ones in the nest boxes. Why do you want to feed the rabbits to your hogs? If you are producing meat rabbits eat the rabbits yourselves. They are tasty. If you decide to feed rabbit carcasses to your hogs, you don't need to cook them. Hogs will eat anything. There was a reason lots of those old time gangsters owned pig farms. . . . :eek:

AmberLops

Herd Master
Reaction score
We had pigs that killed and ate our 2 geese when the got in the pen. I used to throw the dead rabbit kits to the chickens if I found dead ones in the nest boxes. Why do you want to feed the rabbits to your hogs? If you are producing meat rabbits eat the rabbits yourselves. They are tasty. If you decide to feed rabbit carcasses to your hogs, you don't need to cook them. Hogs will eat anything. There was a reason lots of those old time gangsters owned pig farms. . . . :eek:
That's a happy thought ha ha! :lol: :ep