Rabbits - Do I use plastic water bottles or crocks in the winter?

Arrakis

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Good morning,
This is my first winter with rabbits and I was wondering what everyone uses to water. Now that winter has arrived I'm changing out the plastic water bottles several times a day. In most cases, not much ice in the bottle, but the metal spout freezes up fast. Will using ceramic crocks be a vast improvement? I'm on the fence about ordering them.....
FYI - No power to the rabbit area and they are well protected from the elements.

Bunnylady

Herd Master
Reaction score
Crocks will need to be changed out frequently, too, but at least the water is semi-available in the form of ice. We're a lot warmer here, of course; we only get a few days every year when the daytime temps don't get above freezing. I have a water system in my rabbitry; I have heard of water systems with built-in heating that keeps liquid water available even in freezing temps, but having no experience with them, I can't comment on how well they work or whether they are cost-effective.

Simpleterrier

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
We have always used metal or plastic dishes that way u can get the ice out with out un thawing them no lip on inside. We always used crocks for food. If u do put water in them they can crack we always broke a few each year till me learned

DutchBunny03

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I use metal crocks, which work amazingly. The bottom is smaller than the top, so they cant crack. They need to be thawed out and refilled twice a day, but there are no problems with breakage. They are pretty cheap, too. Just small dog bowls.

promiseacres

Herd Master
Reaction score
We use water bottles due to our lop ears. (Ears can freeze to the bowls!) I add apple cider vinegar which does help a bit, they don't freeze as quick. Ceramic crocks will crack. Have used plastic or metal bowls in the past.